How not to land a Shorts 330

deadstick

A good percentage of our pilot group can't seem to wear a uniform properly without looking like a down-on-his-luck golf pro. Could you imagine how unkempt they'd be with a beard option? Ha!

I’m thinking they’d look more like Colonel Sanders...a lot of George Hamilton and a little less Norm McDonald.

As for the room key swipe, y’all are barking up the wrong tree there. There’s no way ACC puts crews up in hotels that have those things.

They've allowed beards for the last 89 years as far as I know. Technically it's inter island only, but there are a ton of transpac guys rocking the Captain Haddock.

And yes... paper Jepps because... well because "Hawaii".

(There is a long sad story about our EFB project that involves, favoritism, nepotism, general incompetence, lack of education, and possibly some light fraud and embezzlement. Also a constant attempt to reinvent the wheel. We've had various forms of Windows tablets (currently Surface 5s, which are actually pretty good) running LIDO for the last 2 years but they haven't been approved for in aircraft use because there is a desire to have a global solution that links into SatComm and who knows what else. Earlier this year our CP ripped part of the project away from the idiots who were running it and now we are getting Jepps on our Surfaces to use while they work on the global solution... or something. I actually just got an email yesterday advising that Jepps should automatically install itself sometime this week, although no word on when we can stop carrying the paper charts around.)
I mean, I could literally set you up with spidertracks and iPads with foreflight or jepp view for pennies compared to what you guys must have spent to try to write custom satcom software. You could literally have world wide coverage with messaging and positioning anywhere on earth for pennies. Hell - up in AK, we’ve even gotten ATC to relay clearance through spidertracks when there was no ground RCO availability.

Hell, I’m pretty sure Everts has spidertracks and they’re 121 - so I don’t think getting that done would be overly complicated either. It’s pretty hard to have the feds balk at “here’s an off the shelf box that’s had interference testing and is already approved at other carriers that allows your dispatch to see the fleet with 2min precision and global messaging coverage.”

Oh man, I would be a tyrant.

"I have three simple rules, follow them, you will never see or hear from me. Break them… FIRE AND BRIMSTONE"

:)

There's a reason no one ever puts me in full control of anything.
It has been my experience that managing pilots is mostly an Grand Moff Tarkin sort of thing. The harder you squeeze, the more they skip through the fingers.

The only thing I’ve seen really work is a really good interview and hiring process that finds responsible people, because once they’re on the line they are objectively beyond your control and trying to exert control leads to rebellion for rebellion’s same.

If you hire the guys to whom being a cowboy or a pirate never even crossed their minds, you’ll never have to worry about it. I say that as someone who was very much a pirate in my younger days.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
It has been my experience that managing pilots is mostly an Grand Moff Tarkin sort of thing. The harder you squeeze, the more they skip through the fingers.

The only thing I’ve seen really work is a really good interview and hiring process that finds responsible people, because once they’re on the line they are objectively beyond your control and trying to exert control leads to rebellion for rebellion’s same.

If you hire the guys to whom being a cowboy or a pirate never even crossed their minds, you’ll never have to worry about it. I say that as someone who was very much a pirate in my younger days.
In the spirit of Star Wars fatigue, I predict before year's end that there will be a best-selling management book loosely based on Imperial Navy Doctrine and principles.

Look for it at a Hudson News near you.

In the spirit of Star Wars fatigue, I predict before year's end that there will be a best-selling management book loosely based on Imperial Navy Doctrine and principles.

Look for it at a Hudson News near you.
It’ll be a white paper by Disney that they’ll make a management self-help book:

“The Tarkin Doctrine: Managing Employee’s expectations through unpredictable violence. A more structured approach to failing upward.”

gne in prog

Any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault.
All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
Such an underrated movie....

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
I’d quote the line of Randal ordering movies from the distributor but I know it won’t make it past the sensor bot.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

dustoff17

You are right, it is spelled hearsay. But I'd say it fits the definition, fairly certain a judge would too.
  1. unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge: I pay no attention to hearsay.
  2. an item of idle or unverified information or gossip; rumor: a malicious hearsay.
I'm pretty sure a judge would DISagree with you on this issue. I think you might be missing the "unverified" portion of your own definition.

Hearsay wouldn't apply to text messaging. An example of hearsay would be person "A" telling person "B" that something happened wherein person "B" had NO direct knowledge. Later, person "B" is re-telling ("say"ing) the story but there is NO other verifiable information or witness to the actual event available. A judge (as you put it) would NOT be able to verify the story by any other means other than what the witness may "say".

In THIS case, the information was gained through a transcript of a digitally RECORDED conversation. The transcript IS the verification that the involved parties wrote what was reflected in the records. Although NOT required when involving text messaging, there actually IS a witness. Only one person that was party to this text "conversation" was killed. Therefore the other person "could" be able to "verify" the content of the conversation.

Last edited: