How not to land a Shorts 330

Apophis

Resident Iconoclast
If you’re at a 121, not firing him is called having a “just safety culture”. At a 135 it’s “dangerous”.
I don't think you can deny that the 121 environment is much less conducive to cowboy/stupid behavior than 135. There are more than a couple Caravan guys at my outfit who I'm honestly surprised aren't dead yet.

msmspilot

I don't think you can deny that the 121 environment is much less conducive to cowboy/stupid behavior than 135. There are more than a couple Caravan guys at my outfit who I'm honestly surprised aren't dead yet.
Flying 135, single pilot freight has convinced me that those who claim “there are no old, bold pilots” have only been exposed to a small slice of aviation.

Derg

Naval Intelligence, MCRN
Staff member
Cowboys generally get 'double secret probation' or "other" but I'm not at liberty to put that on a public forum. :)

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
A good percentage of our pilot group can't seem to wear a uniform properly without looking like a down-on-his-luck golf pro. Could you imagine how unkempt they'd be with a beard option? Ha!
Goes to the old-worn saying "If they can't be trusted to wear a simple uniform correctly, how can they be trusted to fly the jet correctly?"

:D

Fire them, Doug. :)

I have enough for a book, but I don't think anyone would believe it.

And I'd surely get fired.
They can't fire you post-retirement :)

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Flying 135, single pilot freight has convinced me that those who claim “there are no old, bold pilots” have only been exposed to a small slice of aviation.
I love those guys. Working a mid a few weeks ago and gathered 5 of the Mountain caravans into a gaggle, everyone had their sequence in sight, and they pretty much landed in formation. And then the good ole Flight Express into ECP. 1500' ovc and 5 miles vis, 40 miles from the airport field in sight.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
I heard you all allowed that. Is it a recent thing?
Also someone told me hal still has paper charts, that true? I thought we were the only airline left in the states that still uses the Tree FB
They've allowed beards for the last 89 years as far as I know. Technically it's inter island only, but there are a ton of transpac guys rocking the Captain Haddock.

And yes... paper Jepps because... well because "Hawaii".

(There is a long sad story about our EFB project that involves, favoritism, nepotism, general incompetence, lack of education, and possibly some light fraud and embezzlement. Also a constant attempt to reinvent the wheel. We've had various forms of Windows tablets (currently Surface 5s, which are actually pretty good) running LIDO for the last 2 years but they haven't been approved for in aircraft use because there is a desire to have a global solution that links into SatComm and who knows what else. Earlier this year our CP ripped part of the project away from the idiots who were running it and now we are getting Jepps on our Surfaces to use while they work on the global solution... or something. I actually just got an email yesterday advising that Jepps should automatically install itself sometime this week, although no word on when we can stop carrying the paper charts around.)

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
You are right, it is spelled hearsay. But I'd say it fits the definition, fairly certain a judge would too.
  1. unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge: I pay no attention to hearsay.
  2. an item of idle or unverified information or gossip; rumor: a malicious hearsay.

Derg

Naval Intelligence, MCRN
Staff member
Goes to the old-worn saying "If they can't be trusted to wear a simple uniform correctly, how can they be trusted to fly the jet correctly?"

:D

Fire them, Doug. :)

They can't fire you post-retirement :)
Oh man, I would be a tyrant.

"I have three simple rules, follow them, you will never see or hear from me. Break them… FIRE AND BRIMSTONE"

:)

There's a reason no one ever puts me in full control of anything.