How exactly do you do it?

disgaupin

OneAirplaneBoi
I see the regional carriers pay low first year, im just curious as how you manage to live off of $15 - $19/hr? What exactly do you do to live off of this? I am going to be a dispatcher no matter what, I just need to prepare myself for the financial part of it. Do you live with other people? Obviously its possible as there are many dispatchers out there, just curious.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
I see the regional carriers pay low first year, im just curious as how you manage to live off of $15 - $19/hr? What exactly do you do to live off of this? I am going to be a dispatcher no matter what, I just need to prepare myself for the financial part of it. Do you live with other people? Obviously its possible as there are many dispatchers out there, just curious.
819uy05D6iL._SL1500_.jpg

Sliced_Bread

I made a budget, lived below my means, and avoided debt like the plague. Some people have roommates of course, personally I'm an introvert so it was worth the extra rent to live alone. It's far from impossible to do, in fact you can live quite comfortably as a single person I'd say. If you're trying to support a whole family on this one source of income that's another story of course and you'll probably need to get creative to get by.

As a whole it's just a matter of making smart and frugal decisions. Do you need to live downtown? Do you need to go out drinking every weekend? Do you need to eat out every day? Here in Minneapolis its not the cheapest or most expensive place to live and $15-19/hr is plenty to live on with some left over at the end of the month.

fuelerdx

Having lived on $10-12 an hour it isn't hard at all. Have a budget, and don't go into debt. Simply live within your means.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

paincorp

It’s doable. I rarely eat out. Usually eat turkey sandwiches or easy mac.

It sounds like it’s going to be a significant life adjustment for you, so be prepared going in.

I’m still comfortable and have decent quality things, but it seems many also have a side hustle as well. A bad month mine only pays for my car, but I’ve had good months where it pays my rent.

Just gotta figure out what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avolar

I agree with the other. You have to budget. Live within your means. Think of it like your flight plan, do not go over your MTOW. You only have so much fuel so work with it. Do you need that contingency or Alternate fuel? It can be done. Difficult at first, but can be done.

autosave36

The trick is finding a way to be disciplined enough to not sacrifice things you need (nice cars, expensive clothes and a 75 foot yacht named "boom boom belinda") for optional things like a place to live, food, and utilities.

McCrosky

My first dispatch gig was 30K/yr. I luckily came into it debt free. And maintained that most the time. I roommated with another dispatcher. (And she was the master of the scam... perhaps occasional felony). We had crab legs and steaks on the reg. (Don’t ask how). We hit the clubs and bars on the reg (but we drank at home on the cheap stuff before going out). I also found s bar I could win 1st or 2nd place In trivia twice a week and used that as meal planning. It can be done, you just gotta know how to make it work.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
My first dispatch gig started at the princely sum of $9.60 an hour. I made it work. (I did have a side hustle of sorts but it only pulled in a couple hundred a month.) I didn't have a car payment, and my (small, non air-conditioned) apartment's rent was $350 a month, IIRC. I made it work without going into extreme debt. It hasn't always been easy - some of the hardest times were right after I started at a major, having taken a pay cut in order to do so - but in the end, it was worth it to me. I still enjoy the job, 25 years after I got my license.

Stanimal

I drove a car and truck that all 50 states would be define as an unserviceable road hazard to all other motorist, pedestrians, who also share the road with me, and lastly myself. Made my own liquor, but was too tired to drink it bc I would work as much overtime as I could get, and I took whatever cross country flights I could jumpseat on that I knew I could land a firstclass ticket to get a good meal on my weekends.......Thank god I could run off and do my USAF reserves to make my real living money..

bbmikej

It's rough, especially with student loans and or a cat payment. I'm lucky my car is paid off, but still have about $450/mo in student loans. Be willing to working any OT that comes up. 1 ten hour shift at time and a half is about the same as 2 weeks of a minimum wage second job. I'm not the best at budgeting so the extra from doing 50 hours a week helps

disgaupin

OneAirplaneBoi
I made a budget, lived below my means, and avoided debt like the plague. Some people have roommates of course, personally I'm an introvert so it was worth the extra rent to live alone. It's far from impossible to do, in fact you can live quite comfortably as a single person I'd say. If you're trying to support a whole family on this one source of income that's another story of course and you'll probably need to get creative to get by.

As a whole it's just a matter of making smart and frugal decisions. Do you need to live downtown? Do you need to go out drinking every weekend? Do you need to eat out every day? Here in Minneapolis its not the cheapest or most expensive place to live and $15-19/hr is plenty to live on with some left over at the end of the month.
Hey, thats good information, i do have student debt (not a lot though) coming out of college so i will have to plan for that. I also have a car payment too (to be fair i still have 2 years of college left so who knows maybe it’ll be payed off by then, i need to check). So its good to know its doable. I presume it gets easier with the pay increases (yearly it seems at most airlines if not all), good information all.

disgaupin

OneAirplaneBoi
The trick is finding a way to be disciplined enough to not sacrifice things you need (nice cars, expensive clothes and a 75 foot yacht named "boom boom belinda") for optional things like a place to live, food, and utilities.
Haha i don’t need those things. Theyre not really deal breakers for me. Can’t afford a nice car, nor a yacht either way right now. Or super nice clothes.