Horizon

Considering Horizon. Have a year of Q300 time. How long will they keep the Qs?
Saw some recent news articles about challenges at Horizon; what's your crystal ball say?

WS

Considering Horizon. Have a year of Q300 time. How long will they keep the Qs?
Saw some recent news articles about challenges at Horizon; what's your crystal ball say?
The Qs will still be around for at least a few years. I think they would like to get rid of them eventually, but the E-175 probably isn't a good fit for some of our routes. Even if it was and they wanted to completely replace the Q-400, I think it would take several years to replace the fleet and re-train everyone.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Thanks for the job security guys! Bosses flights got canceled up and down the west coast due to not enough crews. I thought there were a ton of new pilots hitting the line and this was solved?

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Thanks for the job security guys! Bosses flights got canceled up and down the west coast due to not enough crews. I thought there were a ton of new pilots hitting the line and this was solved?
When was the flight supposed to be? We only cancelled one flight today. The snow in Seattle has kind of messed things up.

JDean3204

This week? That is odd because I was sitting at the airport for 8 hours at a time this week with zero phone calls from scheduling... I've flown 4 legs in two weeks, it must have been other operational issues..

SurferLucas

Southern Gentleman

JDean3204

They're including your medical benefits/etc as "total compensation"...it's all in the little words at the bottom, gotta read those closely
So how does one calculate the "medical" compensation. The money the company puts into your HSA? I only ask because I don't have medical through the airline, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around that 78,600 they advertise. With per diem, retirement contribution and the max amount the company puts into your HSA I came up with 65k on the Q after the 20k bonus. They must also price out the buddy passes and average some non rev trips to come up with that figure.

I guess it's really no big deal, it's just in bad taste to sell people on the idea that they will make that much. It's funny that they don't mention you will then take a pay cut for year two if you include "total compensation"..

ShortField

No one of consequence
So how does one calculate the "medical" compensation. The money the company puts into your HSA? I only ask because I don't have medical through the airline, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around that 78,600 they advertise. With per diem, retirement contribution and the max amount the company puts into your HSA I came up with 65k on the Q after the 20k bonus. They must also price out the buddy passes and average some non rev trips to come up with that figure.

I guess it's really no big deal, it's just in bad taste to sell people on the idea that they will make that much. It's funny that they don't mention you will then take a pay cut for year two if you include "total compensation"..
No company 401k contribution?

z987k

They probably include the portion of the premiums they are paying.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
They're including your medical benefits/etc as "total compensation"...it's all in the little words at the bottom, gotta read those closely
Yep. Quite a few regionals are advertising like this now, including my employer. I believe Air Wisconsin started this tradition earlier this year, when they claimed something like "$265,000 compensation" over the first 3 years. If I remember correctly this figure not only included healthcare and other benefits but also assumed you would upgrade after the second year.

I believe it's based on whatever the company spends on health insurance for pilots, as they likely pay some part of the premium besides the part the employee pays.

JDean3204

Yep. Quite a few regionals are advertising like this now, including my employer. I believe Air Wisconsin started this tradition earlier this year, when they claimed something like "$265,000 compensation" over the first 3 years. If I remember correctly this figure not only included healthcare and other benefits but also assumed you would upgrade after the second year.

I believe it's based on whatever the company spends on health insurance for pilots, as they likely pay some part of the premium besides the part the employee pays.

Makes sense, I don't like it but I get it. Gotta polish a turd one way or another right? The pay has gotten better, and that is good. No need for fluffed advertising and slimy car salesman tactics though, there are better ways to bring people on board in my opinion.

I Just flew with a captain who has been at QX since the metro days. Told me his first year was 14k salary in 1990. By 2001 he was topped out on dash-200 CA pay around 45k a year. So glass half full, FO's second year make what a topped out 200 CA made 15 plus years ago.