1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizon

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by ppragman, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

So, what can a guy expect to make in his first year? I'm mulling over throwing my app in the ring, and am curious about what a guy could make - or, I suppose more appropriately, if I could make it. Thanks.

Acrofox and inigo88 like this.
  2. Hootie

Hootie Old Skool

I don't work there but I did stay at a holiday inn express within the past 12 months. I think it will highly depend on your domicile as that will affect how much you are utilized and how quickly you can get a line. They have first officers hired 6 years ago who are still on reserve. Good luck!

3. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Well, see that's the thing - I'd love to get the stability of an Airline, but the pay is a huge bummer... Reserve for 6 years sounds terrible.

4. pete2800

pete2800 'Member?

I've been here 2 years and 2 months.

My first year I made 33k before per diem, and 37k after. Second year was 44/49. I do occasionally pick up a premium pay trip if it's something really easy.

I'm also still on reserve most of the time. Not straight line reserve, but a coverage line. Who knows how much movement the bottom of the list will see. I'm not bold enough to make any predictions. You might get the domicile you want in under 6 months. It also might never happen.

5. SurferLucas

SurferLucas Southern Gentleman

What the skinny white bitch (@pete2800 ) said

LaserRacer likes this.
  6. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Is ANC something that would be an attainable base? Also, would it be possible to have a second part-time flying gig on the side or is that Verboten at Horizon?

7. pete2800

pete2800 'Member?

Anchorage would definitely be attainable. I don't know about having a secondary flying job, I've never tried.

8. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

@ppragman
    Most airlines frown upon additional gigs because it counts against the flight/~duty times.

Give me a shout tomorrow and I'll get you in touch with a dude who just left. We know him from Juneau.

ppragman likes this.
  9. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Will do - I'm flying all day tomorrow, but I'll give you a shout.

10. JustinS

JustinS Well-Known Member

I've been researching regional airline pay. If you're looking to go to the regionals, they seem to have some of the best pay on the regional level. $30/hr first year $40/hr second year pay. 75/70 minimum guarantee reserve/line holder respectively. From the outside looking in, it looks pretty good.

11. ndakcfi

ndakcfi Well-Known Member

You'd probably have no trouble getting ANC, since I think it'll be the most junior base when it opens.

Most of the FO's in ANC actually wanted to go there and bid it, but there are two people from a new hire class going there who didn't bid it, although they'll probably be there no longer than a single bid cycle (at which point another group of new hires can get sent to Alaska) before they'd be able to relocate. If QX does expand the ANC base, I'd guess that they'll end up sending a couple of new hire classes straight to Alaska out of IOE unless a bunch of current FO's want to pay to relocate there or try to deal with a really long commute.

12. alaskadrifter

alaskadrifter Noob

The real question is, do you get moose season off ;)

Rodger Wilco and ppragman like this.
  13. WildFan

WildFan New Member

Hey everyone, first post here. I'd like to throw my hate in the ring with Horizon. I saw that they now list associates and bachelors degrees as preferred. Is it realistically possible to get hired at Horizon without that? I left school a year early. I meet all the other requirements, and I currently fly for a 121 airline. I also have a pretty good internal recommendation too. Thanks a lot -

14. pete2800

pete2800 'Member?

You'll fit right in here.

It is possible to get hired without a degree, especially with an internal rec.

15. grkero

grkero fer yer health

I lol'd so hard

Crop Duster, inigo88 and pete2800 like this.
  16. Zidac

Zidac Well-Known Member

What's the upgrade time looking like these days? I know it's long, but APC has the most Junior Captain DOH at Jan 2001. That seems like a bit much, even for Horizon... so I doubt that information is very current. Does anyone have any better info?

17. surreal1221

surreal1221 Well-Known Member

16 years.

18. pete2800

pete2800 'Member?

The most junior upgrade that just went into class was hired in November of 2003.

I'm going with "never." Actually, literally, never. If I had to place a bet on the future of this company, I'd bet on the company shutting down or being murdered by Delta before I'd bet on a new-hire upgrading.

Who knows. I hope I'm wrong.

We'd have to hire enough FO's to replace them, and no one is going to the company with an 11-year upgrade when there's so much movement everywhere else.

In any case, people who ask about Horizon's upgrade are looking at it all wrong. Horizon doesn't have a normal FO/Captain upgrading system. We have a caste system. If you're born an FO, you're an FO. Thou shalt not be envious of your more fortunate neighbor who was born into the Captain class of society.

19. falconvalley

falconvalley Well-Known Member

APC is VERY selective about who they take updates from. I've tried to update them in the past and they basically ignored me.

20. Maurus

Maurus The Great Gazoo

Same here. Tried to update the jumpseat portion for AMF and they ignored me. Oh well.