Hong Kong pre-layover entertainment

GypsyPilot

Yep, and this is why my employer (the one with the naked guy with the beachball on the tail) has stopped HKG layovers. Not good.
Yeah, I think almost all of the US carriers have stopped layovers in HKG at this point. It's a very disappointing response from HKG, and not something we would have seen them do even a year ago. I understand the need to test, but making people wait 12 hours in those conditions is total BS.

It's overall quite sad and funny to watch them attempt to blame this latest COVID outbreak on foreign pilots, when the outbreaks have all been happening in hard core Chinese neighborhoods in Kowloon and the New Territories. Like GMAFB... You really think guys from the west are eating Hot Pot in Tsuen Wan with the locals on a short layover? Yeah, definitely gotta be that. It couldn't possibly be the people from Mainland China that were coming through the landbridge with no quarantine!

DE727UPS

UPS is still laying over there. There is some talk about the gauntlet being waived if you have proof of a certain test being negative prior to your arrival. Haven't heard how that's going yet.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Yeah, I think almost all of the US carriers have stopped layovers in HKG at this point. It's a very disappointing response from HKG, and not something we would have seen them do even a year ago. I understand the need to test, but making people wait 12 hours in those conditions is total BS.

It's overall quite sad and funny to watch them attempt to blame this latest COVID outbreak on foreign pilots, when the outbreaks have all been happening in hard core Chinese neighborhoods in Kowloon and the New Territories. Like GMAFB... You really think guys from the west are eating Hot Pot in Tsuen Wan with the locals on a short layover? Yeah, definitely gotta be that. It couldn't possibly be the people from Mainland China that were coming through the landbridge with no quarantine!
I'd believe it if the outbreaks were traced back to a chilis or applebees

how are they treating the Fedex pilots that are based there?

GypsyPilot

I'd believe it if the outbreaks were traced back to a chilis or applebees

how are they treating the Fedex pilots that are based there?
For us HKG based guys, it's complicated as of a couple weeks ago. After testing, we can go home or to a hotel and self isolate for 48 hours. If we don't hear anything within 48 hours, we are presumed negative for COVID and all is normal.

However, there are two other possibilities:

1)You test positive, and have to go to the hospital. If you chose to go home during your 48 hour self-isolation period, everyone in your household (including pets) will also have to go to a government quarantine facility for two weeks. Obviously most of us are choosing to go to a hotel so that we don't put our families through that.

2)Someone in your flight crew tests positive (including jumpseaters). That person will go to a hospital, and you (a close contact) will go to a government quarantine facility for two weeks.

Obviously this is not an ideal situation. I do understand and appreciate the HKG government taking this latest outbreak seriously, I just wish there as a better solution to the quarantine and hospital situation. So far no HKG based crews have tested positive, but we have had a few become close contacts and therefore end up quarantined. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we have a positive case (we have had a few US crews test positive).

Stone Cold

I mean... if you really want a test... even including flying to and from Hong Kong that's at least a four day quicker turn-around than we're getting at home.
You apparently haven't seen the pics from Purple pilots in quarantine in HKG. No air conditioning, a bed, a simple chair, and a wifi router. It was pretty depressing just looking at the pics. I couldn't imagine going 2 weeks in that room.

Autothrust Blue

“Bayonet!”
Obviously this is not an ideal situation. I do understand and appreciate the HKG government taking this latest outbreak seriously, I just wish there as a better solution to the quarantine and hospital situation. So far no HKG based crews have tested positive, but we have had a few become close contacts and therefore end up quarantined. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we have a positive case (we have had a few US crews test positive).
Foreign government deadly serious about containing deadly pathogen filthy Americans have failed to contain and eradicate: film at 11

(there probably is a better way, but that would have required the feds here to be grown ups.)

Autothrust Blue

“Bayonet!”
You apparently haven't seen the pics from Purple pilots in quarantine in HKG. No air conditioning, a bed, a simple chair, and a wifi router. It was pretty depressing just looking at the pics. I couldn't imagine going 2 weeks in that room.
Quarantine is another way of spelling detention, really.

I'm grumpy about this, and about pilot responses to it, because a lot of what we now suffer overseas (in the 8 places we can still go, that is) falls under the "what exactly did you expect based upon our complete botching of both the public health and economic responses here in the States" category.

There is no recovery and return to the way things were unless and until this is fixed domestically. Or we just stumble along until there's a vaccine, but good luck getting the Covidiots to take it.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Thats exactly it for me. Honestly, I wouldn’t hate being tested if a positive result didn’t end up with that. But we have idiots who would still try to go out. Southern just ended up in the news because somebody was being stupid there. Alarm as overseas pilot seen at tourist spot while awaiting Covid-19 results

1) Dude couldn’t stay in his hotel until cleared.
2) Had to tell everyone he was a pilot.

Autothrust Blue

“Bayonet!”
It's like the NBA (? I dunno, some sportsball) player who broke out of the (very nice, five-star, for eff's sake) bubble. See e.g. here toward the end of the show.

I've been observing the contents of SAFO 20009 pretty damn strictly since it came out and I can't remember the last time I hung out in a group that didn't already work together anyway.

The longer idiots like that chump misbehave, the longer the rest of us have to do this.

GypsyPilot

Thats exactly it for me. Honestly, I wouldn’t hate being tested if a positive result didn’t end up with that. But we have idiots who would still try to go out. Southern just ended up in the news because somebody was being stupid there. Alarm as overseas pilot seen at tourist spot while awaiting Covid-19 results

Yeah, that guy didn't do any of us any favors. Definitely a real lack of SA on that guy's part.

KLB

Well it comes down to everyone in this country buying into the seriousness of this pandemic. People aren't actively participating in the necessary steps to cut this virus way back. Those who are required to travel abroad are paying the price for it.

I am disappointed in our response to this issue. But I am not suprised. I'll give you all an example.

NOAA ~ "There is a possible Cat 5 hurricane that will likely make landfall two from now. We recommend that everyone evacuate inland to avoid death."

State Governor ~ "We are heeding the NOAA's warning and pulling all our rescue personnel to safety. I am issuing a mandatory evacuation order. THERE WILL BE NO ONE TO RESCUE YOU IF THINGS GO BADLY."

Some Citizens ~ "This is just another scare tactic. They said this last time and it wasn't even that bad. I think I'll just honker down and wait it out. I got a couple days of food and water. Should be enough "

Same Citizens after hurricane comes through while sitting on roof of flooded home~ "I didn't think it would be this bad. They should have warned us. Why is it taking so long for rescuers to come save us? Where are the people to help us?"

This is America.

Autothrust Blue

“Bayonet!”
Well it comes down to everyone in this country buying into the seriousness of this pandemic. People aren't actively participating in the necessary steps to cut this virus way back. Those who are required to travel abroad are paying the price for it.

I am disappointed in our response to this issue. But I am not suprised. I'll give you all an example.

NOAA ~ "There is a possible Cat 5 hurricane that will likely make landfall two from now. We recommend that everyone evacuate inland to avoid death."

State Governor ~ "We are heeding the NOAA's warning and pulling all our rescue personnel to safety. I am issuing a mandatory evacuation order. THERE WILL BE NO ONE TO RESCUE YOU IF THINGS GO BADLY."

Some Citizens ~ "This is just another scare tactic. They said this last time and it wasn't even that bad. I think I'll just honker down and wait it out. I got a couple days of food and water. Should be enough "

Same Citizens after hurricane comes through while sitting on roof of flooded home~ "I didn't think it would be this bad. They should have warned us. Why is it taking so long for rescuers to come save us? Where are the people to help us?"

This is America.
And why is this happening, one wondered rhetorically.