1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

History of Psychosys -hopeless situation?

Discussion in 'Ask A Flight Surgeon' started by John Welsh, Nov 25, 2016.

1. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

Is history of psychosys 100 % NO for flying? No exception?

2. SKYROCK

SKYROCK F RAN CO FILE B RAN IFF HI RAM AB IFF

Hi John,

best I can tell, yes. Its my belief that transient depression, anxiety, and PTSD are too often being diagnosed as psychosis. I'm also for the belief that involuntary treatment which, in essence, could be described as unlawful detention, is stimulating some of the symptoms of psychosis and quite by design. I was never officially diagnosed with psychosis. I caught on and busted out of treatment after being bullied into accepting therapy that, for me, was stimulating trauma. My counselor (not a doctor), somehow aware of my grounding diagnosis on day 20, used this to leverage me into compliance and cooperation with what is and was essentially psychiatric abuse and extortion.

These sorts of things can cause a person to exhibit symptoms of psychosis along with the possibility of a pharmacological component to abnormal or anxious behavior. I was on a 40 mg taper of prednisone (not flying) when all of this took place. I think its likely that cortical steroid psychosis might have been contributive. I manage meds better now without any steroid. Its unfortunate that some doctors, in whom you have placed trust, will string you along until you run out of money. My initial HIMS AME basically told me to sell everything I own and give him all my money. I was told that 'they' meaning my senior AME, peer monitor, and HIMS psychiatrist (who incidentally is not a psychiatrist but an oncologist convicted of stealing morphine from dying cancer patients) were the only way to get my medical back. My HIMS AME bullied and threatened me with career dissolution unless I gave him large sums of cash money claiming things like: "I'm the only game in town" and "good luck getting your medical back without a guy like me, I know the right people", not to mention collusion, diagnosis tailoring, and sham peer review with no due process.

The odds are certainly stacked against you and you have 0 guarantee that this group of charlatans will do anything to help you get flying again instead of making matters grievously worse for you. Cooperate, give them all your money, then maybe graduate? There is no guarantee and if you fight the diagnosis, you are basically done. Disagree or try to expose criminal behavior, and the FAA will send you a rejection even though you never applied for an SI. So, yes, probably game over, unless you have cash to burn and feel like rolling the dice with a group of unethical frauds, reinvented felons and psychopaths in a position of power over you.

Its sad but each day gets a little bit better. PM me if you ever want to talk and thanks for posting.

3. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

Aviationmedicine.com, asking them a question is 40 bucks, they'll give a real answer from real (former) AMEs and tell you exactly what you'll need to do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Finny and av8tr1 like this.
  4. Maximillian_Jenius

Maximillian_Jenius Super User

What's my beef with you?

This stuff. You're dangerous.

You're all Alex Jones, with your tangential conspiracy theories. And your paranoid, suspicious delusional persecution complex.You're Tom Cruise on the Today Show, arguing with Matt Lauer about psychiatry, and established medical and mental health practices. You make excuses and play the victim. You make irrational statements, like the above, when you say that your psychiatrist, was in all actuality an oncologist. Are you serious, really?

This is nonsensical. What does a Cancer doctor have to do with a HIMS program? More importantly why was an oncologist masquerading as a psychiatrist. Scope of practice man, that's immediate cause for a medical review board and a decision against a doctors license. Another point of fact, more people nationally go to see a LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) for counseling than an actual psychologist (aka a Doctor of Psychology).

For someone coming on here, who maybe not be knowledgeable and impressionable, and asking serious questions pertaining to their health and safety and career. To have them read your drivel which you spout and seem to believe and state as fact, is dangerous to those asking and actively seeking help.

You're dangerous. You're paranoid, delusional and yes I seriously no joke. Think that you need a psychiatrist evaluation.

A Life Aloft and Luigi like this.
  5. SKYROCK

PSDPC, that's a new one. Will this be in DSM VI? Is it safe for me to assume that you work in a clinical setting? You're in PHX right? Do you work at the same joint Andreas Lubitz was incarcerated at?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I won't pay money to join Tom Cruise's cult either. Established medical and mental health practices? You mean like a culture of psychopathy that has hijacked an entire field of rehabilitative medicine despite a negative success rate? Have you read any of the research?

Much. We agree.

Well done Mr. LCSW.

Its a 'psychiatric evaluation'. At any rate, I'm done. I would like it if you would ignore me also. I think that's a fair request.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

I was diagnosed 13 years ago - mild depression, actually I was more tired than depressed, and after few months had it much better and I stupidly quit medications "cold turkey method", then things went worse and worse. At the end (after quiting medications again for 2nd time via "cold turkey method" ) diagnosis was psychosys, then I was sent to Psychologist who put me through Rorschack test, and her words after test were: "You are normal, just fine normal and good job, and you'll be fine". Anyway I will soon contact aviationmedicine.com to hear their verdict about my case :)

SKYROCK likes this.
  7. Maximillian_Jenius

I'm not sure that everyone is on the right page here, with the correct diagnosis and definition of psychosis.

Psychosis is a symptom of a Psychotic disorder. What's more commonly called a though disorder. The symptoms include hallucinations, delusional, grandiose or irrational thinking, delirium etc. Basically you cannot tell what is real, from what is imagined. So you're hearing or seeing things that aren't there. Talking to and caring on a conversation, with unseen others. Or you think that you're God, Zeus etc. Or you believe that the television/radio is talking to you, or giving you command hallucinations. Or think that you have billions of dollars. Or you can also have olfactory hallucinations, like smelling smoke that isn't there. Gustatory hallucinations, or taste hallucinations. Or tactile hallucinations (feeling/touch). Example thinking that bugs are crawling all over you.

Psychosis is a common symptom of Schizophrenia, but not limited to it. As one can also be bipolar with psychotic symptoms. Or Schizoaffective disorder, which is a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar. Psychosis can also be brought on by extreme fear, exhaustion, trauma or stress. It's more commonly known as a psychotic break (with reality).

Here is a video and great example of psychosis brought on by a break with reality. They're currently stating the Kanye West went in-patient for a psychotic break.

I am not a doctor, or a licensed clinician, but I've worked in the mental health field for 8-10 years. I would definitely talk to an AME or someone first. But just a guess anyone who has schizophrenia or a psychotic disorder, wouldn't be able to obtain a medical. That's just my unprofessional opinion, but definitely seek a second opinion.

8. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

I believe that there is battery of different tests which can scientifically prove illness in my case - or not. I just need one open minded AME :) If one or two AME says - no, so that is. Doubt is cleared. All those symptoms you mentioned apart from one (irrational thinking) was absent in my case even when I felt worst. Even for that one IMHO I am in doubt how far irrational it was :) You don't have to believe me, you worked in that field, and lot of mentally sick people are not aware how sick they are :-/

9. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

AMAS will be able to tell you whether or not you've got a shot, and I hope it's a positive outcome for you.

They did wonders for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

10. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

Thanks a lot for kind words to me :) I wrote email to AME in my home country with my questions and I expect response soon from him. Then I will contact AMES from link you posted above, and if both of them say - No, this is not possible, I'm fine with that. Such is life, we all have to accept reality :)

SKYROCK likes this.
  11. SKYROCK

I agree. Thanks for pointing this out.

12. Crop Duster

Crop Duster UNSUB

Hey John, sorry for your troubles. The extent of my medical training is whole lot of science coursework, a BCEMT merit badge with ski patrol privileges, and some psy-ops training. So I'm an over-informed troglodyte. That said, to my prehensile mind, your prose presents as too cohesive and focused to indicate psychosis, although you do get points off for spelling. ;)
    Psychosis is tricky.
    The medical dictionary "definition" is: "Psychosis is a symptom or feature of mental illness typically characterized by radical changes in personality, impaired functioning, and a distorted or nonexistent sense of objective reality."
    From one of my textbooks... "Patients suffering from psychosis have impaired reality testing; that is, they are unable to distinguish personal subjective experience from the reality of the external world."
    So, yeah, in today's "reality", in which objective reality (facts and measurements and such) apparently has left the building and pathological liars (or perhaps "alternate-reality viewers") run for president... and alternate-reality voters vote for them... all bets are off.
    So for you my advice? Be careful with your choice of psych practitioners. In psychology, like politics (both involve neo-post monkeys), the "objective" reality is often extremely subjective... and it's keepers and high priests highly suggestible. With careful selection, you ought to be able to pick a practitioner who will give you the answer you desire.
    The trouble with objective realities is that they can only be measured and analyzed with... you know, metrics and math. Ever considered how many folks speak or think math? Ever consider how psychiatrists "measure" patients? It's kinda like measuring ambient daylight on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being noon and 10 being midnight, phase-sifted to take into account the practitioner's individual personality and proclivities, and lacking any adjustment for latitude or season. Hardly objective.

SKYROCK likes this.
  13. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

Well, English is not my native language, I am trying my best to be understood here on forum ;-) You know - when some shrink gives somebody diagnose 'psychotic' , is difficult to deal with that stamp afterwards. He/She is psychotic for rest of his/her life. Btw. some of shrinks are also on medications ;-)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    SKYROCK likes this.
  14. Maximillian_Jenius

At my facilities where I work, psychosis (psychotic disorder) is usually just a preliminary generic diagnosis for admission and insurance purposes. As psychosis is typically more of a symptom of a larger mental illness, if there is a genetic component. And it's origins aren't from stress or drug induced psychosis, say from drugs. Such as meth, or any of the new class of synthetic drugs. After patients meet with their attending, and a social worker/psychologist, the diagnosis handed down is usually schizophrenia, or bipolar with psychotic features.

15. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

Do you think psychotic/schizoprenic can drive car?

16. Maximillian_Jenius

What I do think first before anything you need to go see a professional, and get an official diagnosis. But yes, we get people of all levels of education, socio-economics at our facilities. Rich people, young and old, homeless etc. Mental illness plays no favorites. For example we get lots of college students age 18-25 experiencing their first psychotic episode/break. Who were 4.0 and driving, leading independent lives, one minute. That are now, saying that there's a CIA microchip implanted in their brain and that television and radios are spying on them or talking to them. Or some come in saying that they're awaiting a new body, and will ultimately transmute their physical form, and transcend to a higher level of consciousness and that they will be a being made up of pure energy. Upon discharge, if they continue to take their meds, if they have a drivers license (depending on circumstances), they should still be able to utilize their full driving privileges.

My point is that most patients had a life on the outside, before being forced in-patient. But the common things out of all of them, is that they stopped taking their meds for whatever reason. Started taking drugs usually due to the often highly impulsive/risk taking symptomatic nature of mental illness. Did something stupid in the community, fought a cop. Attempted suicide, ran across a street naked, masturbated/had sex in public. Or they were petitioned by friends/family for DTO/DTS, picked up by the police and sent to our psychiatric emergency room. Then admitted to our adjacent in-patient facility.

I literally see miracles at work every 7-14 days. From the guy who jumped in front of a city bus. Or the girl who thinks she's invisible and has telepathic powers. Or the guy who at admission says he's Zeus, or the ever popular delusion of Lucifer. Who is again normal functioning, and it would be hard if not impossible to know if you hadn't seen them before. How wild and completely out of control they looked/acted just days ago. It's a often a complete 180. Then they leave and go back to being a successful small business owner. A lawyer, accountant, pharmacist etc.

17. John Welsh

John Welsh Active Member

Obviously you have seen lot of complicated cases :)

There's no other way.

That was also my problem. I felt much better, and none warned me that abruptly stopping AD medicine would be ticket to hell.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016