Hiring Question at Envoy.

Armyguywill

I was one of the selected for an in person interview back in early/mid November with Envoy. I was then informed that I needed to do the Pre-employment paperwork (went in and filled out some paperwork, finger prints, drug test.)

I was told the class I was in/considered for would be at the end of January. I recently reached out to see if they needed any other paperwork from me, and just asked for an update, if possible. I was told I’m now in the Tentative (pool).

Does anyone have any idea what tentative (pool) means? I passed up another offer, becaue it seemed like Envoy was a likely ending up spot and because of their connection with American Airlines, but I’m also aware with them starting a class recently (early December), holidays that people have been out of the office more. I’m starting to worry, because I’m not sure what to expect. I completed and got my dispatcher license back about 3 months ago, and feel like all the momentum I had with interviews. Offers, etc has totally stopped.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
This situation is why I dislike the concept of "hiring pools." If it's your first job, I would go with a solid offer over a "you're in the pool, we MIGHT hire you down the road" every time, unless there's something about the place that offered you the job you find sketchy. However...I did end up getting on with my major in a similar fashion. Interviewed in November I think, and they weren't able to hire as many people as they wanted for a January class...but they were eventually able to convince the HR people they needed more dispatchers, and I ended up starting in March. So, I wouldn't give up hope yet. Also when job hunting, things kind of tend to go in waves. As you said, with the holidays not much hiring gets done in December/January. I would imagine things will start to pick up for you this month.

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
I think hiring pools are needed because airline staffing needs change quickly and its not uncommon to be turned down by someone who got a better job offer. I think what is bad is leading the candidate on who may be new to the industry and not well versed in hiring pools. Even worse if they go through drug testing and other paperwork before telling you that you are a poolie.

In general, being in a hiring pool is not a good thing. It usually means you are one of their back up plans in case they end up needing more people. It could also mean they are planning more classes or hoping for more to be authorized.

The thing for you though is you don't know where you are on the list and how many are above you. That is why you always take the firm offer. You can always quit if the company you really wanted decides to select you from the pool. It is the ugly business of airline hiring. You don't owe any airline loyalty as a newcomer to the business.

F9DXER

When I got hired at F9 way way back when (06), I interviewed in 05 but wasn't selected. A few months later the manager of dispatch called and asked if I was still interested and that they had an individual that was probably going to leave due to personal issues. I said yes and a month later I was officially offered the job.

Stranger things have happened.

DispatchDan

Yup! What Flagship said. You take a firm offer and if a better one comes up, you leave your current company. There is nothing wrong telling your employer “thanks but I got a offer that works much better for”, as long as you put in a 2 week notice you should not feel bad about leaving especially in this industry.

TXDX

Flagship is correct. You mean nothing to an airline. You will be just another number. Never forget that. As far as envoy, I wonder what made them change their mind on you as it sounds you were going through the motions already. Maybe the December class got scrapped? Who knows. But definitely take the next job offer.

Armyguywill

Flagship is correct. You mean nothing to an airline. You will be just another number. Never forget that. As far as envoy, I wonder what made them change their mind on you as it sounds you were going through the motions already. Maybe the December class got scrapped? Who knows. But definitely take the next job offer.
What was strange is they said at the interview, they wanted to hire for both classes. The Dec class was filled mostly with current employees of Envoy, and that a select few were the January class. I even flat out asked the HR person, if I should turn down the offer I had because of the likelihood Envoy would offer, (if they were in my shoes) and the HR person said they would turn it down.

To me the biggest question is, what does Tentative(pool) mean? Does it mean I have a spot in a upcoming class or am I one of X number of people they will target in a later class.

Also, I’m starting to regret and agree I shoulda taken the firm offer. I passed because the offer was starting 2 weeks before the date Envoy had given.

flynryan692

I honestly think you should reach out to them again and ask for clarity on what they mean by tentative pool. They'd probably appreciate you seeking clarification from them over making a post on a very popular forum.

Armyguywill

I honestly think you should reach out to them again and ask for clarity on what they mean by tentative pool. They'd probably appreciate you seeking clarification from them over making a post on a very popular forum.

Thanks, I figured I would try again next week when office operations are back to normal. Just didn’t know if anyone here knew what it meant.

fuelerdx

Was in envoy pool before. It means you will be in a future class and that is why they had you do paperwork and drug test. They do often give very short notice to pool applicants even under two weeks.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Armyguywill

Was in envoy pool before. It means you will be in a future class and that is why they had you do paperwork and drug test. They do often give very short notice to pool applicants even under two weeks.

Hey Fuelerdx, thanks for the reply. Just so I understand from what you’re saying it sounds like I should already have a spot in a class and that I’m NOT waiting to get a spot in a class?

Sorry to break it down Barney style, but just doing it that way so it can’t be misunderstood. Also, thanks for the reply and information!

fuelerdx

Hey Fuelerdx, thanks for the reply. Just so I understand from what you’re saying it sounds like I should already have a spot in a class and that I’m NOT waiting to get a spot in a class?

Sorry to break it down Barney style, but just doing it that way so it can’t be misunderstood. Also, thanks for the reply and information!
You should have a spot in a class. But as their class sizes can change not necessarily the next class. Essentially once you do the drug test and finger prints you can expect an offer eventually. They won't pay for those unless they are willing to hire you.

fuelerdx

You should have a spot in a class. But as their class sizes can change not necessarily the next class. Essentially once you do the drug test and finger prints you can expect an offer eventually. They won't pay for those unless they are willing to hire you.

I was in a poll for 3 months before getting a call to do prints and test. Declined for personal reasons due to timing so cannot offer insight on whole process. But I had gotten a class date then too and was under two week notice.

Armyguywill

Thank you for the reply and information!

Flagship_dxer

This isnt necessarily true. Envoy and other airlines do put candidates through the drug test/fingerprint test and in the end not hire them. I know several people who were put in the Envoy pool and not called for a class or put in a pool and called last second. The drug test/fingerprint allows them the flexibility to offer a job a few days before class which does happen.

Armyguywill

This isnt necessarily true. Envoy and other airlines do put candidates through the drug test/fingerprint test and in the end not hire them. I know several people who were put in the Envoy pool and not called for a class or put in a pool and called last second. The drug test/fingerprint allows them the flexibility to offer a job a few days before class which does happen.
And that killed all positives vibes I had :/

fuelerdx

While true that isn't as likely. The vast majority of applicants that get tested and printed are given offers.

Keep the positive vibes, regional hiring is quite regular and given DL/rumored AA/WN classes soon that will continue. Good luck in your job search!

Flagship_dxer

And that killed all positives vibes I had :/
A fingerprint is indeed a good sign as it means you are close to the top of their pool list. They want you to be ready to go when they call you. In extreme cases, they have called a day or two before class starts to offer the job to a poolie. But it doesnt mean that you definitely have a spot in a class. You need to plan to not have it and be ready to accept it and move when they do offer it if you want to work for them. A good portion of AA new hire classes are from Envoy so there is no shortage of people willing to make the move last minute.

HR people will say anything to get you to keep your name on the list. They have to do more work when someone else is nominated to your spot on the hiring pool list when you decide to turn them down after you accept the offer from another airline. Plus their bosses might not like that they chased away a potential new hire by being honest.