Hey Buddy...Move Over

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
Last update: March 14, 2004 at 9:48 PM
Plane lands on top of pickup truck

March 15, 2004 TRUCKSTOP0315

EDGEWATER, FLA. -- A small plane made an emergency landing on top of a moving pickup, leaving the truck driver wondering if he should have checked his blind spot in the sky.

No one was seriously injured in the incident outside of Daytona Beach, police said.

Glenn M. Meleen, 23, realized that his single-engine plane was having problems just after he took off Saturday. He dropped the banner that the plane was towing and tried to land on a two-lane road, Edgewater police said.

Instead, the plane came down on the cab of Robert Oglesby's pickup.

"There were no cars coming left or right, but I didn't see any plane," said Oglesby, 61. "I didn't look into the sky."

The truck's roof caved in and shattered glass sprayed inside the vehicle, but Oglesby escaped from the flattened truck with only minor cuts. Meleen, a student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, was not injured.

Associated Press

EDUC8-or

I don't think it has anything to do with Riddle. I've seen some of the banner towing aircraft at X50. I wouldn't fly in them without a banner behind me.

CaliforniaSurfer

[ QUOTE ]
Whew! For a second there I thought it said a student pilot was towing a banner!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that bad? I just solo'd a student and endorsed him for "Banner towing in Class B airspace".

Surf

kellwolf

Piece of Trash
So here's my question. Was the pilot a CURRENT student at Riddle and towing banners for x-tra $$$, or was s/he a grad or former student and the newspaper jumped on the Riddle thing 'cause it's local?

RiddlePilot

[ QUOTE ]
naw man, riddle be ub3r 1337!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha...nice someone caught my lame attempt at humor. Or is that "14m3"...?