I was issued a 3rd class. Will I be contacted by FAA to follow up ?Hi Hconner,
You had a graft of the wall of the aortic artery, not valve surgery correct? Additionally you have a bicuspid aortic valve if I am understanding correctly? You should expect that the AME will review your cardiac history extensively, but if your heart is functioning normally and you are on no meds it is likely you will be successful in getting 3rd class certification.
I would take in a letter from your cardiologist that covers the following points (sourced from the AME guide):
Also take in the results of a graded exercise stress test if you have one.
- A personal and family medical history assessment
- Clinical cardiac and general physical examination
- An assessment and statement regarding the applicant's medications, functional capacity, and modifiable cardiovascular risk factors
- Prognosis for incapacitation
- Blood chemistries (fasting blood sugar, current blood lipid profile to include total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides) performed within the last 90 days
Your application will likely be deferred to the FAA the day of your exam. The AME will send in the above documents, and you should have an answer hopefully within 6 weeks of your exam.
Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner