Guardian Flight Missing - King Air 200 - Kale Alaska. 1/29/19

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
The aircraft with three occupants onboard is reported missing west of Kake, Alaska. A UCSG cutter has been deployed. The aircraft was due to land at 18:19.

Weather in the area is reported at light rain with overcast skies, 10 miles visibility, 7 mph winds and an air temperature of 36 degrees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coast Guard searching for overdue aircraft near Kake, Alaska

KODIAK, Alaska - The Coast Guard is searching for an overdue aircraft with three people aboard about 20 miles west of Kake, Alaska, Tuesday.

Coast Guard Sector Juneau watchstanders received notification from Sitka Flight Services that a Guardian King Air 200 medical life flight was expected to land in Kake at 6:19 p.m., however, the aircraft never landed. 

The aircraft departed from Anchorage.

Watchstanders directed the launch of the Coast Guard Cutter Anacapa crew to conduct the search near the last known position of the aircraft. Good Samaritan vessels are also searching the area. 

“Coast Guard crews are diligently searching for the missing aircraft and individuals,” said Lt j.g. Colin McClelland, Coast Guard Sector Juneau command duty officer. “We appreciate the assistance of the good Samaritan vessels and we hope we locate the aircraft and people soon.” 

Weather in the area is reported at light rain with overcast skies, 10 miles visibility, 7 mph winds and an air temperature of 36 degrees.

The Anacapa is a 110-foot Island Class cutter homeported in Petersburg, Alaska.

-USCG-

1548857972635.png

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Nearly 24 hours on now and so far no announcement of any trace of the aircraft :(.

I knew the pilot a little bit and a number of the nurses in my program are Guardian refugees so I’m sure a lot of them are feeling it pretty badly.

Blue skies, tailwinds, and quiet pagers to the missing.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
Nearly 24 hours on now and so far no announcement of any trace of the aircraft :(.

I knew the pilot a little bit and a number of the nurses in my program are Guardian refugees so I’m sure a lot of them are feeling it pretty badly.

Blue skies, tailwinds, and quiet pagers to the missing.
USCG Alaska just posted on their Facebook that debris has been found, but hasn’t confirmed it’s from the missing aircraft.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Small world. Flight paramedic on this one is a local here from TUS. Worked a long time for Southwest Ambulance and i remember her in passing, while the spouse was her coworker. After going through a bad divorce, she completely moved from her and made a new life in AK flying for Guardian. Was back to enjoying life again.

z987k

I doubt they'll figure anything out.
Last fatal medevac crash up here is sitting in 800ft or so of water somewhere in an area the size of Massachusetts.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Last fatal medevac crash up here is sitting in 800ft or so of water somewhere in an area the size of Massachusetts.
Which one is that? I don’t think I remember a fatal Medevac crash up here since I’ve been here (9 years).

Areas near where the debris was found have soundings down past 1800’.

Last edited:

Capt. Chaos

There was ADS-B track data that suggests a hard impact into the water. Water depth is 1000ft to over 2000ft depth in the Fredrick Sound Chatham area there, as well as strong currents. Odds are pretty slim of ever finding much unfortunately.

A150K

Didn't know any of the crew, but I worked for Guardian for a year in the lower 48. Solid group of people.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Probably not? Names are released as pilot Pat Coyle, Nurse Stacie Morse, and Medic Margaret Langston. Pat had previously flown for Harris Air, Airlift NW, and Guardian Sitka.
Margaret Langston was Margaret Allan when she was working here in TUS, but same person unfortunately.