Grumman Tiger

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I had a ton of fun flying it for about 2 years until the owner decided no more club flying for that airplane. Would love to fly one again, or even own one, honestly.
Tigers cost considerably more than they should, in my opinion....great little airplanes, don't get me wrong, but Cheetahs or even AA-5s are less money for not much less airplane.

Tigers cost considerably more than they should, in my opinion....great little airplanes, don't get me wrong, but Cheetahs or even AA-5s are less money for not much less airplane.
Sadly, as with damned near everything nautical or aeronautical... if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Sadly, as with damned near everything nautical or aeronautical... if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.
Y'know, aviation is one of the VERY FEW places where that doesn't always hold true. To whit - your "average" joe can afford the basic acquisition cost of a used piston single in many cases - lots of them don't cost more than a well-appointed pickup truck.

"Say, that's a nice-looking airplane. How much does something like that run?"
"You can pick one up for under $40,000."
"Wow!"

While it's an accurate statement, it does not in the least give complete information.

Y'know, aviation is one of the VERY FEW places where that doesn't always hold true. To whit - your "average" joe can afford the basic acquisition cost of a used piston single in many cases - lots of them don't cost more than a well-appointed pickup truck.

"Say, that's a nice-looking airplane. How much does something like that run?"
"You can pick one up for under $40,000."
"Wow!"

While it's an accurate statement, it does not in the least give complete information.
Sure, but having to ask applies at all income and net worth levels... even for guys like me who are looking for a $20K pickup and have to ask about the $40k job. And fuggeddabout a NEW pickup.

That young, stupid kid who committed that terrible financial error? I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him. Tell him the way things are. But I can't. I gotta live with that. That money is long gone. And this old airframe is all that's left. Affordable Aviation... is just a bullshirt term. So you go ahead and sign your credit application, sonny, and stop wasting my time! ;)

Last edited:

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Sure, but having to ask applies at all income and net worth levels... even for guys like me who are looking for a $20K pickup and have to ask about the $40k job. And fuggeddabout a NEW pickup.

That young, stupid kid who committed that terrible financial error? I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him. Tell him the way things are. But I can't. I gotta live with that. That money is long gone. And this old airframe is all that's left. Affordable Aviation... is just a bullshirt term. So you go ahead and sign your credit application, sonny, and stop wasting my time! ;)
One of my all time favorite movies.