Graduate School while Flight Training??

vsnick

Well, I have recently graduated with my undergrad, and as some of you have seen in my previous posts, I have been looking at all the possible ways to start my training. I have narrowed down my decision and I am ready to start with an accelerated flight school. This is the route I expect to take but yesterday I was talking with my father and he brought up a good point. "If I am going to spend around 40 or 50 grand to attend flight school, I should see if there are any universities that offer a Master's Degree while beginning flight training." So that is my Question to you, Are there any Colleges out there that you know about that offer a structured flight program with Graduate school. If so, this just seems like a good way to kill two brids with the 'ol stone. Thanks.

ZUM

You are looking for a graduate program in aviation to go along with your flight training? I don't know anything about graduate programs in this field, but do know that there are many non-aviation fields out there, which will offer a stipend to full time graduate students (typically $19k-$25k/yr). There are no costs involved for classes or graduate school itself. In addition, as a graduate student, you are eligible for government sponsored student loans, often times subsidized at unbelieveable interest rates (2.5-3%). These don't have to be paid back until you graduate. So, if you can settle for not going the academy route and going with a flight school close to the graduate school, you could kill the two birds with one stone, although it will take longer to get through the flight training.

montana

I have looked for the same thing for the last three months and have found nothing. But, I'll keep looking.

DE727UPS

Never heard of such a program. You really don't need to do any kind of Grad program to be a pilot. What accelerated school did you decide on?

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
You can take flight courses while working on your Masters degree at the University of Illinois. However, it's not an accelerated program. I got up to my Commercial ASEL/AMEL Instrument in 2 years staying there during the summers. I also got my multi outside the university (All ATPS) in four days during an internship over a weekend.

You could get all your ratings through MEI in 3 years if you work hard.