General pay question

IndianaPilot

No where near the point of seriously looking into jobs ( still training ), but with all of the regional sign on and retention bonuses that I read and hear about, has led me to a question. Take Envoy as an example, as listed on Airline Pilot Central, a new FO starts at $37.90 / hr with a $22,100 sign on bonus. Puts them around 60K plus per year. Second year they move to the "year 4" hourly pay rate and get the $22,000 retention bonus, again allowing them to earn 60K plus.

So my question is this : assuming they remain a FO for whatever reason, on year 3, they would actually get a significant pay cut?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
No where near the point of seriously looking into jobs ( still training ), but with all of the regional sign on and retention bonuses that I read and hear about, has led me to a question. Take Envoy as an example, as listed on Airline Pilot Central, a new FO starts at $37.90 / hr with a $22,100 sign on bonus. Puts them around 60K plus per year. Second year they move to the "year 4" hourly pay rate and get the $22,000 retention bonus, again allowing them to earn 60K plus.

So my question is this : assuming they remain a FO for whatever reason, on year 3, they would actually get a significant pay cut?
Yes. But with the movement right now, there are no year 3 FOs as they have all hit their 1000 SIC and upgraded (in general).

BigZ

Not quite sure where you're getting the bonus for the second year from.
It's 2500 per quarter and depending on how your probation ride aligns with the quarters and such, you can expect 7500 the second year and 2500 the third if you haven't upgraded before then.

IndianaPilot

I may have quoted it wrong , but yes I was saying if somebody for whatever reason remained and FO longer term , it’s actually a pay cut at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigZ

I may have quoted it wrong , but yes I was saying if somebody for whatever reason remained and FO longer term , it’s actually a pay cut at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is. And if you upgrade at current rates it's 65-67k for helluva lot longer job description

JDean3204

Some guys are holding off on upgrade at certain regionals because of QoL and base options. Other regionals are now forcing guys to upgrade, so it depends on the regional but aside from XJT I think every other regional is sub 2 year upgrade at the moment. Now is that upgrade same base you hold as FO? Probably not but the timeline is considerably shorter than even 4 years ago which is good.

BigZ

Upgrade is 2 years at Envoy now?
As soon as you hit 950 hrs of 121
Latest set of LOAs gives everyone 50 hrs of OE to reach the 1000 plus from now till the end of February if you're close to 800 hrs and hiding on reserve, they will find you and will load you up with flying to get to 950 hrs quick. Fascinating times