Gatwick closed due to drones

Lawman

This. Of course, the average Walmart customer is out of breath by the time they've waddled in to a store..
Honestly with the fact ever person is essentially carrying a real time updated GPS tracker in their pockets for predictive trend tracking, there is no reason we couldn’t achieve the point of them knowing when and where you are and delivery to your hands at work/school/home/wherever. Add a “just find me” option with filters that lock out certain places like your work office and can recognize and predict your commute times. Charge a little extra and let the fedex/UPS dude act like an Uber.

If people are gonna freely cede all their personal information anyway we might as well get something good out of it.

NickH

Dank Meme
Honestly with the fact ever person is essentially carrying a real time updated GPS tracker in their pockets for predictive trend tracking, there is no reason we couldn’t achieve the point of them knowing when and where you are and delivery to your hands at work/school/home/wherever. Add a “just find me” option with filters that lock out certain places like your work office and can recognize and predict your commute times. Charge a little extra and let the fedex/UPS dude act like an Uber.

If people are gonna freely cede all their personal information anyway we might as well get something good out of it.
Maybe, but giving up all your personal information is to help 'Them' not 'Us'. Which is why UPS can't turn left.

tomokc

Counter-drone technology coming to military, prison & sports stadiums before airports. Excerpt below. Counterdrone Technologies Face Slow Ramp-Up at Airports Globally

With aviation authorities in the U.S., U.K. and other countries urging a go-slow approach to deploying such systems until regulations are in place, industry officials say military facilities, correctional institutions and stadiums currently are the primary customers for civilian technologies to track and deter unauthorized drones.

Air-safety regulators are worried that counterdrone systems designed to jam radio communications also could interfere with legitimate airport equipment and operations.

In the U.S., according to industry officials, the Federal Communications Commission’s reluctance to authorize sales of hardware able to disrupt radio links has hobbled growth of the nascent counterdrone industry. Only a handful of U.S. airports have advanced drone-detection programs under way, according to industry officials, and nearly all are in the testing phase.

tomokc

The UK aviation minister was called before the House of Lords the morning after Gatwick was shut down. Her responses made it clear that they hadn't done anything to prepare for this type of problem.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
The Dutch. Or maybe the Belgians. Either way they discontinued the test because the eagles wouldn't consistantly attack the target.
Kind of like seeing your first bald eagle in the PNW.

“Oh look at the majestic bald eagle, floating triumphantly in the... well now he’s dumpster diving and fighting a pidgeon over a dead sewer rat”

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Do they shut down everything when a drone is reported? If NY shut down at every drone report we might as well close all 3 airports permanently. Which gives me an idea....
I’ve reported two at LGA over the last few years.

Oh, LGA. “Follow the Rivah!” “Which one?” :)

Nark

Sheepdog
I’ve reported two at LGA over the last few years.

Oh, LGA. “Follow the Rivah!” “Which one?” :)
They don’t even care about manned aero-planes let alone the un-manned.

I had an RA on final to 22 in LGA, “roger, contact tower.”

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
They don’t even care about manned aero-planes let alone the un-manned.

I had an RA on final to 22 in LGA, “roger, contact tower.”
Probably from someone VFR in the river legally seperated. I hate how TCAS2 uses a 600’ buffer for an RA when we only need 500’. Anecdotal of course but I’ve seen RA’s cause more conflicts than they’ve stopped.