Gatwick closed due to drones

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
The big threat is going to be to helicopters. Low level, and one of these drones goes through the rotor system, or takes out a tail rotor, or goes through the plexiglass windscreen.....all of which will most likely take down the helo. Likely be a medical helo, with the amount of them flying around.
I mean if it was a medical helo it was probably going to crash anyways.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Funny thing is, RC planes have been around forever, but somehow weren't ever comsidered a threat.
Drones are 100x easier to fly than RC airplanes. And having the camera link and lte means you don’t need LoS to fly them like an rc plane. Plus it’s a lot easier to conceal being on a cellphone than a massive RC plane controller.

Last edited:

tlewis95

I drive planes
Drones are 100x easier to fly than RC airplanes. And having the camera link and lte means you don’t need LoS to fly them like an rc plane. Plus it’s a lot easier to conceal being on a cellphone than a massive RC plane controller.
I have a general disdain towards drone “operators” because they end up lumped in with RC Airplanes and bring unnecessary attention towards a hobby that has been doing just fine for 100 years or so.

tomokc

One positive about drones is that they make stalking so much easier and convenient. :)
They are terrible tools for small target surveillance without being heard. Their wide-angle lenses make them great tools for general photography - landscapes, photos of houses for realtors, downtown skylines and the like. Even the new, small DJI Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom which are quieter, you’ll hear them coming from quite a distance.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
They are terrible tools for small target surveillance without being heard. Their wide-angle lenses make them great tools for general photography - landscapes, photos of houses for realtors, downtown skylines and the like. Even the new, small DJI Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom which are quieter, you’ll hear them coming from quite a distance.
I Almost wonder if we are to the point yet where they are so common, that no one pays attention to one being around, and that most don't consider that it may be looking at them.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I Almost wonder if we are to the point yet where they are so common, that no one pays attention to one being around, and that most don't consider that it may be looking at them.
Not even close. Everyone seems very excited about amazon using drones for delivery, I hate that idea. When I'm at home trying to enjoy some peace and quiet the last thing I want to hear is a bunch of drones buzzing around my neighborhood dropping stuff off. They're loud and annoying, I wonder how amazon plans on recouping the losses, not only from people stealing, but also from frustrated residents devising ingenious methods to rid themselves of that annoyance.

Markf64

Not even close. Everyone seems very excited about amazon using drones for delivery, I hate that idea. When I'm at home trying to enjoy some peace and quiet the last thing I want to hear is a bunch of drones buzzing around my neighborhood dropping stuff off. They're loud and annoying, I wonder how amazon plans on recouping the losses, not only from people stealing, but also from frustrated residents devising ingenious methods to rid themselves of that annoyance.
Personally, I can't wait......skeet shooting for prizes.

Nark

Sheepdog
Could you imagine, someone "doesnt check the background", shoots at a drone and hits a real plane instead? :)
I’m prepared for that. Not too concerned about small arms fire, if that means drone skeet shooting.