Gatwick closed due to drones

Stone Cold

Drones ground flights at Gatwick

Tens of thousands of passengers have been disrupted by drones flying over one of the UK's busiest airports.

Gatwick's runway has been shut since Wednesday night, when two devices were seen flying over the perimeter fence.

The airport said a drone had been spotted "in the last hour" and the runway would not open "until it was safe to do so".

About 110,000 passengers on 760 flights were due to fly on Thursday. Disruption could last "several days".

Those due to travel have been told to check the status of their flight , while Easyjet told its passengers not to go to Gatwick if their flights have been cancelled.

Gatwick Airport: Live updates

Sussex Police said it was not terror-related but a "deliberate act" of disruption.
DOS attack on one of the busiest airports? Lovely.

Markf64

I thought I saw a news article not too long ago where they use trained falcons,or some other type of bird, to take out drones. Anyone else see this?

Seems like a possible option. If the authorities can get their hands on the drones, maybe they could trace them back to the culprits who are doing this.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Might make folks think a bit harder about real threats vs "big, scary" threats...

For an underfunded party wanting to cause - at the very least - chaos, suffering, and economic losses, a batch of drones is highly effective, extremely inexpensive, and portable. You know, monkey-wrench class weapon.

These things are increasingly kiddy-scriptable; Wait 'til they are programmed to act -badly- in concert.

#handbasket

FlyingAccountant

Sounds like they're going to try to snipe them out of the air and they've called the military in to assist. I'm sort of surprised they don't have some sort of way to jam them and knock them out of the air.

This is pretty absurd how a couple of glorified radio control toys have shut down one of the busiest airports in the world.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Sounds like they're going to try to snipe them out of the air and they've called the military in to assist. I'm sort of surprised they don't have some sort of way to jam them and knock them out of the air.

This is pretty absurd how a couple of glorified radio control toys have shut down one of the busiest airports in the world.
The whole world is going full-sorcerer's-apprentice. Never let your world go full-sorcerer's-apprentice.

Last edited:

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Pretty ridiculous to close an airport because drones were flying in the vicinity. Do we shut down Atlanta for 2 days because someone reported a flock of birds on final?
Wild flying things vs. plastic/metal flying things controlled by humans are two very different threats. And not to mention two very different sets of liability when something bad happens.

ahw01

Glad I'm on leave. Sounds like a systematic attempt to close the airport. Not terror related but police and army are on it. Hope it clears by 27th when I fly out. It is not pretty down there. A JFK flight diverted to Doncaster...

tomokc

During the Northern California Camp Fire 16 public agency drone teams were brought in for mapping, imaging, USAR directing and other purposes. Also deployed was DJI Aeroscope, an IFF-like detection system that identified known and unknown drones. Here’s a video that explains it:

Last edited:

Der rote Baron

I thought I saw a news article not too long ago where they use trained falcons,or some other type of bird, to take out drones. Anyone else see this?

Seems like a possible option. If the authorities can get their hands on the drones, maybe they could trace them back to the culprits who are doing this.
That was a trial in the Netherlands, as far as I know they stopped it.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Kind of crazy that the airport has been held hostage for over 24 hours now. Obviously a well planned operation.

Reported that the MoD has been requested to assist.