Furloughs

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I think its just up to the Senate now as the House drafted and passed it, and Trump said he would pass it.

Fingers crossed. Even if I get furloughed after the summer, I would have more time to prepare for it, crank out some OT, and save vs. sometime in the near future.
Vice versa - Senate has passed it, waiting on the House vote tomorrow. House did pass a different version earlier I believe but they need to vote on the latest Senate version. Hopefully it can be passed without bringing everyone back into town and signed by the weekend.

Wonderlic

Apparently airlines will still be allowed to furlough thousands of employees after getting bailed out.

“Under the deal, the airlines are obliged to keep their staffing levels, wages, salaries, and benefits to at least 90 percent of where they were from April to September last year.”

dx8709

But some airlines *cough cough GoJet cough cough* willingly violate USERRA.
I assume the person involved has already made a USERRA violation report with the Dept. of Labor? There are a few avenues to explore that don't involve lawyering up.

Atlanta

Th
Apparently airlines will still be allowed to furlough thousands of employees after getting bailed out.

“Under the deal, the airlines are obliged to keep their staffing levels, wages, salaries, and benefits to at least 90 percent of where they were from April to September last year.”

This is inaccurate —

per the passed senate bill: page596

1) refrain from conducting involuntary fur-
11 loughs or reducing pay rates and benefits until Sep-
12 tember 30, 2020;

Atlanta

I am really not sure how this can be interpreted any other way.
The bailout is meant for only salary and benefit obligations.

Wonderlic

Th

This is inaccurate —

per the passed senate bill: page596

1) refrain from conducting involuntary fur-
11 loughs or reducing pay rates and benefits until Sep-
12 tember 30, 2020;
I think the 90% loophole is in one of the other 1,000 pages.

Atlanta

I think the 90% loophole is in one of the other 1,000 pages.
Yes it’s in the loan portion:
Airlines can’t have it both ways
If they take the grant-no furloughs
Loan- allows them to furlough up to 10%

My guess is that the request will be for grants.
It essentially equates to the government paying salaries and benefits for a few month.
It’s a win win for airlines!

flynryan692

There is speculation Southwest could reject the bailout money and furlough instead. I've heard some rumors that WN has also really screwed over the people who should be about to start the next DX class.

CF34-3B1

It may feel like they were screwed over but as I understand it they don’t want them to quit their jobs and then get immediately furloughed. I feel for them, and as a low seniority dispatcher I need them to start. But in this way some of them may be employed longer by not starting than if they do.

flynryan692

It may feel like they were screwed over but as I understand it they don’t want them to quit their jobs and then get immediately furloughed. I feel for them, and as a low seniority dispatcher I need them to start. But in this way some of them may be employed longer by not starting than if they do.
I don't know the full story and won't claim I know anything factual, but from what I heard they initially delayed the class when this all started. A lot of people complained because they had already quit their jobs, sold their homes, and moved to Dallas, so they brought it back. Last I heard they probably aren't doing the class, and we had people leave for it. From the sounds of it they probably shouldn't have undelayed the class, because by the time they delayed/ canceled it a second time it was too late for anybody to change their minds at their current company.

Scarebus

I don't know the full story and won't claim I know anything factual, but from what I heard they initially delayed the class when this all started. A lot of people complained because they had already quit their jobs, sold their homes, and moved to Dallas, so they brought it back. Last I heard they probably aren't doing the class, and we had people leave for it. From the sounds of it they probably shouldn't have undelayed the class, because by the time they delayed/ canceled it a second time it was too late for anybody to change their minds at their current company.
By your rumor it sounds like a lot of the people in the class were already screwed and out of jobs when SWA originally tried to postpone it a month in advance. Pretty freaking cool that they listened to the feedback and made every effort to run the class even as the airline was imploding more and more each day. What other airline would care enough?

flynryan692

By your rumor it sounds like a lot of the people in the class were already screwed and out of jobs when SWA originally tried to postpone it a month in advance. Pretty freaking cool that they listened to the feedback and made every effort to run the class even as the airline was imploding more and more each day. What other airline would care enough?
I absolutely agree, but I also think it's safe to say they should've made a decision one way or another and stuck with it instead of flip flopping. Hindsight's 20/20 though, and these are just rumors anyway, right?

derriko

Bill passed the house.
According to the information above, it doesn't matter for us people in the bottom 10% regardless of the stimulus. Heres to hoping its 2 years max on the furloughs, but we will see.

Aaaaaand... United apparently is still is going to furlough no matter what. Ill keep my thoughts offline for that one.

Squirrel

According to the information above, it doesn't matter for us people in the bottom 10% regardless of the stimulus. Heres to hoping its 2 years max on the furloughs, but we will see.

Aaaaaand... United apparently is still is going to furlough no matter what. Ill keep my thoughts offline for that one.

Out of context. United said it wont furlough until sept 30th. If demand doesnt pickup then they will have to be smaller.