Furlough Estimates

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
Seems especially weird to call Texas "middle America" considering it's on the south edge of the country rather than near the middle.
Up the street in Missouri, there’s “Mid Continent International” :)

AAPalmTree

I see lots of issues. plugging our ears, saying "LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" and hoping it goes away isn't an effective solution to the problems we're facing.
Maybe it’s not me with their head in the sand.

that’s a mortality rate of .0039 or 0.4%
That’s a big difference from the current 5.1%

Last edited:

roundout

Bus Driver
Maybe it’s not me with their head in the sand.

that’s a mortality rate of .0039 or 0.4%
That’s a big difference from the current 5.1%

Of course more people have been infected than reported! That's what happens when you don't have an effective testing mechanism.

I am not going to sit here and discuss epidemiology with airline pilots; I am not qualified, nor are you. The plain and simple fact here is that WE need people to fly if we want to have jobs. Period. If there is a way to cajole people back in to airports, I am all for it. We all should be.

zVo

Does anyone have any positive news to share about the state of the industry or future of the industry? I’m not saying that to be facetious, I’m genuinely asking.

Flying around the country, it’s encouraging to see that many terminals are not the complete ghost towns they were at “the bottom” of the shutdown. However, my gut feeling (worth nothing) about where all headed over the months ahead is not good. The media is talking about the resurgence of COVID cases which is undoubtedly going to effect passenger confidence, TSA passenger count improvement is crawling and stagnating at around 80% below Y.O.Y. demand, the major carriers doing economic gymnastics to maximize their liquidity, airlines are asking for a second round of government funding/bailouts this week, etc. Obviously we don’t need a 100% or better recovery to pull out of this, but we still need to double passenger numbers to even approach 50% of 2019’s passenger count numbers.

I’m hoping passenger counts are limited by capacity in the system right now and we see significant gains in July with added capacity at most airlines.

AAPalmTree

Of course more people have been infected than reported! That's what happens when you don't have an effective testing mechanism.

I am not going to sit here and discuss epidemiology with airline pilots; I am not qualified, nor are you. The plain and simple fact here is that WE need people to fly if we want to have jobs. Period. If there is a way to cajole people back in to airports, I am all for it. We all should be.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. People would be flying if this didn’t get blown out of proportion. Maybe if we start relaying the actual facts to the public people will return.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
You're making an assumption that I don't think can be safely made. You assume that more people would travel if they "felt safe." I'm not sure that this is correct. I'm not traveling until the mask requirement gets lifted, because I can't feel comfortable wearing a mask for hours at a time. I know I'm not alone in that. It is entirely a matter of guesswork right now as to which will result in more people deferring travel.
Sweet Jesus you’re a pansy.

Nark

Macho Superpilot
Does anyone have any positive news to share about the state of the industry or future of the industry? I’m not saying that to be facetious, I’m genuinely asking.
Yeah.... there is a thread all about positive trends just under this one.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Has a major airline ever filed for bankruptcy without pilots on furlough?

----------------------------------

Also here is new Call to Action from ALPA to ask your government representatives to protect our CBAs in the event of bankruptcy.
Yeah, they won't and can't. Even if the reps make a law it won't hold up.

This isn't Germany, as much as I love this country we've got too many centuries of past practice as a corporatocracy. In Germany when the company folds all the money goes to the employees and then whoever they owe bills to.

roundout

Bus Driver
That’s exactly what I’m saying. People would be flying if this didn’t get blown out of proportion. Maybe if we start relaying the actual facts to the public people will return.
Applying facts and logic when feelings and fear are at full throttle...

drunkenbeagle

Gang Member
People would be flying if this didn’t get blown out of proportion.
Flying - to where? My offices are all closed, so I'm not going to be flying to them like I normally would. Festivals, sporting events and music events I would travel to are also not happening. Until those things return, a very sizeable chunk of demand is probably just not there.

AAPalmTree

Flying - to where? My offices are all closed, so I'm not going to be flying to them like I normally would. Festivals, sporting events and music events I would travel to are also not happening. Until those things return, a very sizeable chunk of demand is probably just not there.
maybe your office would still be open if it wasn’t for the panic.