Frontier

Delta doesn't pay for a hotel through all of training. I think just the first week. Frontier isn't alone in not paying for a hotel.
There is another Company that does the same thing.... It’s not ideal, but they aren’t alone.
Didn't know that. Though the airline paying for the hotel was industry standard.

Que: NBC. The More You know!

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
Delta and Frontier ought to get with the times then. The part 135s and the regional that I work for paid for hotel expense. Only company that did not was a well known flight school down south that made us pay for 3 weeks of hotels.... Lost about 3 grand doing that. (and even that has changed I hear).

Last edited:

WaterRooster

Delta and Frontier ought to get with the times then. The part 135s and the regional that I work for paid for hotel expense. Only company that did not was a well known flight school down south that made us pay for 3 weeks of hotels.... Lost about 3 grand doing that. (and even that has changed I hear).
Why? People still apply and they don’t have to pay for lodging. It’s business.

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
Why? People still apply and they don’t have to pay for lodging. It’s business.
Because it sucks, and on principle I am pro pilot everything. Of course pilots are showing up, they're in a tough spot to turn the job down or not. That line of reasoning is no different than condoning $17,000 first year regional pay among other things. Why increase first year pay when people are showing up? (not anymore though, thankfully). Yes, I do realize that it is capitalism, but we have to take a hard line as professionals to make things better. And we have to do it in unison or else we will continue to be taken advantage of. Especially when both Delta and Frontier make mega profits, there is no excuse, just uber avarice in play.

etflies

Keeping calm, Chiving on.
Didn't know that. Though the airline paying for the hotel was industry standard.

Que: NBC. The More You know!
Not sure if there is any confusion but all overnight hotels while on a trip are paid for by the company. F9 does not provide hotels during initial training. Crash pads, Air BnB and short term rentals are common for new hires at the Animal.

WaterRooster

Because it sucks, and on principle I am pro pilot everything. Of course pilots are showing up, they're in a tough spot to turn the job down or not. That line of reasoning is no different than condoning $17,000 first year regional pay among other things. Why increase first year pay when people are showing up? (not anymore though, thankfully). Yes, I do realize that it is capitalism, but we have to take a hard line as professionals to make things better. And we have to do it in unison or else we will continue to be taken advantage of. Especially when both Delta and Frontier make mega profits, there is no excuse, just uber avarice in play.
I do agree it sucks and with the money they make they should be paying for it. Yet, it is capitalism, and what you pointed out proves it. Regionals had to raise pay because people were not showing up. It wasn’t because they were nice and wanted to give us nice things, it’s because if they didn’t they would be out of business. Now in a perfect world people would just turn down the job and it would change, unfortunately, that isn’t real life. So as you say, it sucks, but it sucking doesn’t make it change.

FlySooner9

Technically your Denver based in training. Thus no hotels in base.

JDean3204

Delta still has thousands of apps on file, they are very selective and considered the top dog at the moment. As much as I disagree with no paid hotels in training, I sure as heck wouldn’t turn down a job offer. The 3k you will pay in hotel costs during training will be a non factor after your 13th month, when you start taking home 3k a paycheck. There is light at the end of that tunnel and that is the thought process of over 10,000 applicants wanting a shot to work at Delta.

Now Frontier, until recently didn’t pay anything close to that. So it would be a little harder to justify paying for hotel rooms in initial, but now you’re most likely in the 6 figure range after year one so again, short term sacrifices for long term financial gains. Plus training being in Denver, I’m sure you can find a room in a crash pad for a heck of a lot cheaper than a hotel room. Many airlines with bases there and commuters.

Regionals or 135, they better be paying for hotels as their pay scales are still chump change in my opinion. Even at 40-50k it will be a lot harder to pay back the 3k in hotel costs that you probably put on a credit card. I believe they all do pay for hotels now though. My old 135 shop didn’t, I had another student as a roommate for the two weeks we were in training. It costed us each 900 and that sucked, it was hard to pay that back with the 18k I made first year there. At the end of the day, we still applied and took the job knowing that was the case. No airline is going to pay a penny more than they need to in order to keep people coming through the door.

Last edited:

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Delta still has thousands of apps on file, they are very selective and considered the top dog at the moment. As much as I disagree with no paid hotels in training, I sure as heck wouldn’t turn down a job offer. The 3k you will pay in hotel costs during training will be a non factor after your 13th month, when you start taking home 3k a paycheck. There is light at the end of that tunnel and that is the thought process of over 10,000 applicants wanting a shot to work at Delta.

Now Frontier, until recently didn’t pay anything close to that. So it would be a little harder to justify paying for hotel rooms in initial, but now you’re most likely in the 6 figure range after year one so again, short term sacrifices for long term financial gains. Plus training being in Denver, I’m sure you can find a room in a crash pad for a heck of a lot cheaper than a hotel room. Many airlines with bases there and commuters.

Regionals or 135, they better be paying for hotels as their pay scales are still chump change in my opinion. Even at 40-50k it will be a lot harder to pay back the 3k in hotel costs that you probably put on a credit card. I believe they all do pay for hotels now though. My old 135 shop didn’t, I had another student as a roommate for the two weeks we were in training. It costed us each 900 and that sucked, it was hard to pay that back with the 18k I made first year there. At the end of the day, we still applied and took the job knowing that was the case. No airline is going to pay a penny more than they need to in order to keep people coming through the door.
Very well said. 3K is a little steeper than what most people pay. Most people I talk to are paying around 1500 to 2000 right now, but the point still stands.

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Considering you might make $35k the first year at Frontier, for them to ask you to put up your own money on top of that is just a dick move by them. I get it’s
Business but damn.
What is Spirits training pay? I would say $35k is a little low. First year should be over $50k.

Box hauler

What is Spirits training pay? I would say $35k is a little low. First year should be over $50k.
At Spirit you don’t make squat in training. 1k per month plus $750 per diem but they do put you in a nice hotel so you don’t have to save money, shack up with multiple people or run up credit card debt to get started. Yes you are correct about the pay, I forgot it wasn’t $36 per hour anymore.

WaterRooster

At Spirit you don’t make squat in training. 1k per month plus $750 per diem but they do put you in a nice hotel so you don’t have to save money, shack up with multiple people or run up credit card debt to get started. Yes you are correct about the pay, I forgot it as the $36 per hour anymore.
Full 75 hour guarantee at year 1 rate of $57 is the pay for F9

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
At Spirit you don’t make squat in training. 1k per month plus $750 per diem but they do put you in a nice hotel so you don’t have to save money, shack up with multiple people or run up credit card debt to get started. Yes you are correct about the pay, I forgot it wasn’t $36 per hour anymore.
I suppose its all a matter of perspective. Personally I would like the nice hotel, and the $4500. The $1k per month for some people kind of has the same effect as splitting an Air BnB. You still have to save to prepare for both hits.