Frontier

WaterRooster

They are even setting up a program for CFIs to go straight to F9 after instructing. I met a couple 20 year TSA pilots that were flowing to Frontier on the day of my interview.
Purdue Grads. Had one in my class... 21 years old and at F9. Sharp guy but damn!

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
Have things truly changed for the better or are people only saying that now that Frontier pays more for pilots? Is it worth giving up a captain upgrade at a regional? One of my best friends just was hired with less than 2000 hrs and no TPIC. Last year I interviewed and got sent home, then they begged us all to reinterview in August. Seems like it has dawned on them that they can't be like Delta and give more folks a chance. Not gonna lie, the way that things were at F9 when I did the interview left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

FlySooner9

Have things truly changed for the better or are people only saying that now that Frontier pays more for pilots? Is it worth giving up a captain upgrade at a regional? One of my best friends just was hired with less than 2000 hrs and no TPIC. Last year I interviewed and got sent home, then they begged us all to reinterview in August. Seems like it has dawned on them that they can't be like Delta and give more folks a chance. Not gonna lie, the way that things were at F9 when I did the interview left a bad taste in my mouth.
They are still only taking 50% of their interview groups. Think they can be as picky as they want still. Pretty sure after the new contract they were flooded with apps, for good reason.

upup89

There is definitely a charm offensive going on right now, buying in base hotels and allowing pilot friendly requests even though they don’t contractually have to. Who knows how long that will last. I’m not one of those people that needs my ego stroked by my employer though. I just want to go to work, go home and have my paychecks hit my account on time, that’s all Frontier promised me when I got hired and so far they haven’t let me down. Whatever extra they want to do and for however long they want to do it is okay with me.

In terms of leaving a regional captain gig for F9 is a purely personal choice. I did it and I haven’t looked back. Frontier gives me the support and tools to do my job effectively. I got fed up with calling maintenance at my regional and knowing it would be a minimum of 1 hour before someone would even show up. F9s system isn’t perfect but they get a lot out of what little money they put in. If the growth happens as advertised anyone hired on today will be top 30 ish percent overall in 6 years. Indigo hasn’t overtly come out and announced it but they seem to be setting up the pieces for a global network of ULCCs probably something similar to how Delta has minority holdings in a handful of foreign legacy carriers. If Indigo can pull it off it may be something that makes the airline financially viable long term. Sorry to hear you didn’t get hired, hopefully you get another go at it and I see you out on the line.

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
There is definitely a charm offensive going on right now, buying in base hotels and allowing pilot friendly requests even though they don’t contractually have to. Who knows how long that will last. I’m not one of those people that needs my ego stroked by my employer though. I just want to go to work, go home and have my paychecks hit my account on time, that’s all Frontier promised me when I got hired and so far they haven’t let me down. Whatever extra they want to do and for however long they want to do it is okay with me.

In terms of leaving a regional captain gig for F9 is a purely personal choice. I did it and I haven’t looked back. Frontier gives me the support and tools to do my job effectively. I got fed up with calling maintenance at my regional and knowing it would be a minimum of 1 hour before someone would even show up. F9s system isn’t perfect but they get a lot out of what little money they put in. If the growth happens as advertised anyone hired on today will be top 30 ish percent overall in 6 years. Indigo hasn’t overtly come out and announced it but they seem to be setting up the pieces for a global network of ULCCs probably something similar to how Delta has minority holdings in a handful of foreign legacy carriers. If Indigo can pull it off it may be something that makes the airline financially viable long term. Sorry to hear you didn’t get hired, hopefully you get another go at it and I see you out on the line.
Gotcha, thanks for the write-up. It will be really interesting to see how the ULCC market develops and unfolds in the next five years.

CFIT99

I'm probably commenting ironically...
Your story is very common, I had 3 buddies interview only 1 got it BUT the other 2 were hired 3 months later.

Before the contract a key part of the interview was convincing then you wouldn’t bail in a few months if Airline AB or C called , that’s completely changed now.

I’ve been here 1 year and my gamble is paying off, my advice would be for regional folks: there are very few reasons why someone should stay at a regional. I left my fractional gig not because of the pay but because of how much I left in the table (after the math it was around $2 million)

Frontier is going from 85 planes to ~250 in 6 years, that’s insane amount of growth.

PM me if you have any questions and good luck!