Freezing rain

A300Capt

I wish I could. He’s the instructor. So it’s my job to prove him wrong.
Really? Aren’t you paying him for answers? Isn’t it his job to furnish those answers? What’s with the Easter egg hunt or is this a game of “stump the monkey”?

Tell him you’ve exhausted all your resources/research and can’t find the answer so he needs to prove his *technically legal* case now or move on to more important issues.

av8tr1

"Never tell me the odds!"
They both are. The TAF is related becuase you can’t take off if freezing rain is forecasted within 1 hour of ETA.

msmspilot

They both are. The TAF is related becuase you can’t take off if freezing rain is forecasted within 1 hour of ETA.
Your original question is “approaching the airport...”, so where does the TAF come into play? You already took off, so you must have already checked that box.

Here’s what I was told as a baby 135 pilot: you get a speeding ticket and go to court. The cop says I have a radar record on video that shows 45 in a 35. You say I was doing 35. Who is the judge going to believe?

av8tr1

Is this from the ground or the air? It sounded like you were already flying.
In the scenario given, yes you are already flying. You have not been cleared for the approach but you can see the airport. We have nextrad on our equipment but it isn’t part of the scenario. METAR and ATIS are reporting FZRA tower says at this very moment it isn’t falling. Can you land?

I’m looking for specific regulation guidance if it exists. I don’t think you can land. I am told I got the question wrong and am trying to dispute it.

msmspilot

So best guess: 121.655 says "if the latest weather report, including an oral report from the control tower..." but is referencing ceiling and visibility.

Capt. Chaos

If that wasn’t the case, I’m pretty sure there are a few airports that would get a looot more diversions.
Or the opposite. JNU is actually my favorite for reporting 10 miles and then when you check on with flight service on the visual “wind 040@3 runway 8 RVR 4000”

....uh....which is it?
Ketchikan does that too, 1000-3 to keep the zone open for the float planes, but report RVR 2000 on the runway.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mikecweb

Third Generation Arizonan
In the scenario given, yes you are already flying. You have not been cleared for the approach but you can see the airport. We have nextrad on our equipment but it isn’t part of the scenario. METAR and ATIS are reporting FZRA tower says at this very moment it isn’t falling. Can you land?

I’m looking for specific regulation guidance if it exists. I don’t think you can land. I am told I got the question wrong and am trying to dispute it.
I would say you could land then.
METAR doesn't matter because you are flying. ATIS comes into play but if the tower reports otherwise that is what I'd go with. Same thing if the ATIS was calling for weather below minimums but tower gives updated vis you can shoot the approach. Or the ATIS is calling for a tailwind exceeding limitations but a wind update from tower puts it within limits. You're not going to continuously monitor the ATIS to see if a new one comes out if the tower has already advised what the present weather is.

av8tr1

I would say you could land then.
METAR doesn't matter because you are flying. ATIS comes into play but if the tower reports otherwise that is what I'd go with. Same thing if the ATIS was calling for weather below minimums but tower gives updated vis you can shoot the approach. Or the ATIS is calling for a tailwind exceeding limitations but a wind update from tower puts it within limits. You're not going to continuously monitor the ATIS to see if a new one comes out if the tower has already advised what the present weather is.
Thanks Mike. That makes sense. And thus I accept that I got the question wrong. However wouldn’t the tower issue an updated ATIS at that point? I’m told that there is regulatory guidance on this. Do you happen to know off hand what it is?

Last edited:

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver

mikecweb

Third Generation Arizonan
Thanks Mike. That makes sense. And thus I accept that I got the question wrong. However wouldn’t the tower issue an updated ATIS at that point? I’m told that there is regulatory guidance on this. Do you happen to know off hand what it is?
I don't I'm sure a career CFI might know the answer to that.