Former USAF pilot gets called by the FAA because of a student pilot

Inverted

The journey is the meat in the goal sandwich
The only part of 91.303 that’s he’s in compliance with was the parachute. Airspace designated for an airport, check. Within the lateral boundaries of an airway, check. Over an open assembly of people, check. Maybe he didn’t go below 1,500 agl... but he certainly “f’d up so bad that the FAA couldn’t ignore it.”
Technically he didn’t need a chute.

PGT

Right, I don't get why there's this phenomenon of this.

Bro, nobody cares you have a phenom brah, why do you need to "share" your phenom experience with everyone else, nobody cares.
That’s a very cynical way to look at it.

If you read the comments there are a lot of student pilots, and even people with no aspiration of flying, watching these YouTubers. Most of them do more for good for the aviation community than any of us.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Depends, has the guy you're thinking about landed off airport twice from fuel exhaustion?
I remember when I dated a girl who had a friend who was a pilot and PHX Tracon controller who she wanted me to meet. I bring up flying and he says "Oh, I'm a really bad pilot man I had to hang up my wings". "Oh, what happened?". "I used to date a girl in Vegas and I ran out of fuel headed back from there twice and landed in open desert both times, then I hung it up". "I see".

Welp, that was awkward...so many questions but, what was the point, at least unlike Jerry he recognized he wasn't safe and I at least respected that, honestly.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I remember when I dated a girl who had a friend who was a pilot and PHX Tracon controller who she wanted me to meet. I bring up flying and he says "Oh, I'm a really bad pilot man I had to hang up my wings". "Oh, what happened?". "I used to date a girl in Vegas and I ran out of fuel headed back from there twice and landed in open desert both times, then I hung it up". "I see".

Welp, that was awkward...so many questions but, what was the point, at least unlike Jerry he recognized he wasn't safe and I at least respected that, honestly.
def P90 material

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.

Very strange. Does he run out of fuel in their car/ truck often ?

TWP

The guy in the original post is a class act. Basically admits that the kid was “technically” correct but not reasonable and REEEEAALLLY does him a favor by letting him know his behavior is basically going to cut his career to shreds of it doesn’t change. Even the federali thought it was silly.

Little aviation-Hermione’s still working on their certs don’t really understand how this business works. During my brief couple years in management I received multiple calls from former colleagues about resumes that came across their desks, many of them I advised hiring immediately. Some of them I had to make clear were radioactive trash. This idiot kid is well on his way to Chernobyl level resume status.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Very strange. Does he run out of fuel in their car/ truck often ?
He apparently ended up leaving his wallet on the table after that dinner..and didn't realize it for 2 days after the fact somehow. So, seems likely. Only met him that one time and broke up with the girl soon afterwards so who knows. I do wonder how having 2 events like that close together doesn't spill over into your FAA job of keeping track of aircraft in/out of a busy class B airport, but then again some ATC people I've met have seemed unfit to work a toll booth more or less but keep the planes separated at work. Maybe he's a good controller, nice guy anyway.

Meanwhile, over here having scored Well Qualified 3 years in a row and still waiting.

Last edited:

nibake

Powder hound
Right, I don't get why there's this phenomenon of this.

I actually watched his video too to see if there was anything worth mentioning here about the enforcement process or whatever; dude sounds hella arrogant too, "I do this for you."

Bro, nobody cares you have a phenom brah, why do you need to "share" your phenom experience with everyone else, nobody cares.
He also plays theme music while he describes himself. That's a "clue."

nibake

Powder hound
The guy in the original post is a class act. Basically admits that the kid was “technically” correct but not reasonable and REEEEAALLLY does him a favor by letting him know his behavior is basically going to cut his career to shreds of it doesn’t change. Even the federali thought it was silly.

Little aviation-Hermione’s still working on their certs don’t really understand how this business works. During my brief couple years in management I received multiple calls from former colleagues about resumes that came across their desks, many of them I advised hiring immediately. Some of them I had to make clear were radioactive trash. This idiot kid is well on his way to Chernobyl level resume status.
It's cliche around here, but there is a lot of Dunning-Kruger going on with people who are first learning to fly.

FlyingAccountant

He deleted the video after a poop storm came down on the kid, who had a YouTube channel of his own. They ran him off of social media entirely.

The kid has some stones, I'll give him that. He also had a GoFundMe to pay for his flight lessons.

At any rate, I watched the video again and he's literally in the middle of the turn as he gives the call, so we're talking maybe a second or two premature. Reporting him was completely unnecessary. He's also from the Tucson area and I know there's a lot of AZ folk on here, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that you might run into him.

Skåning

The kid has some stones, I'll give him that. He also had a GoFundMe to pay for his flight lessons.

At any rate, I watched the video again and he's literally in the middle of the turn as he gives the call, so we're talking maybe a second or two premature. Reporting him was completely unnecessary.
That dude was a Karen. Don't go running to the feds over something so benign.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
man I can't wait til this kid chirps some Class B controller and gets a lesson in anticipated separation

inigo88

Composite-lover
The only part of 91.303 that’s he’s in compliance with was the parachute. Airspace designated for an airport, check. Within the lateral boundaries of an airway, check. Over an open assembly of people, check. Maybe he didn’t go below 1,500 agl... but he certainly “f’d up so bad that the FAA couldn’t ignore it.”
Glider pilots are a special breed... I love flying sailplanes and revere good glider pilots, but expecting one to be well versed in 91.303 might be a tad optimistic. Many that fly with a chute do so only because that is the only seat cushion their sailplane came with. Then they are like “brb going to go fly in the Sierras in aggressive mountain wave be back in 8 hours!” :D

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
In ATC that’s called “Anticipated Separation” it’s SOP.

Like when you get cleared for takeoff and the aircraft ahead is still on departure roll. ATC is anticipating there will be separation by the time you’re in the air.