1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former baseball player dies in plane crash

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by KLB, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Apophis

Apophis Resident Iconoclast

Not sure how long ago that was, but why not just carry a PLB on your person. I have two. I also have an Iridium Extreme Satphone. Makes me feel a lot better on solo backpackng trips.

I can just imagine that skipper's dead body halfway to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.....meanwhile on the surface with one button press rescues would already know where you are down to several feet.

But a captain always goes down with the boat....or some such nonsense.

2. bucksmith

bucksmith Did you lock the doors?

Let's see, would of been around the turn of the century. Not sure when they came out with those, and I don't think we had a sat phone. We had immersion suits, and there was a water activated raft. Summer time was fun, winter time in the North Atlantic used to conjur some morbid thoughts while laying in my bunk.

Apophis and Acrofox like this.
  3. USMCmech

USMCmech Well-Known Member

Just because SAR officials know where you are does not mean that anyone can reach you. Response times can easily be measured in hours or even days.

Stone Cold and Acrofox like this.
  4. Apophis

Apophis Resident Iconoclast

It is still better than the alternative of nobody knowing where you are. With the proper equipment you could still survive for those hours/days if need be as well.

Ajax likes this.
  5. RDoug

RDoug Well-Known Member

6. dustoff17

dustoff17 Well-Known Member

7. inigo88

inigo88 Composite-lover

I have a couple friends who were aerospace engineers on the initial team that designed the two prototype A5s, and you hit the nail on the head. They are outstanding guys and produced a well mannered and easy to fly airplane. A lot of thought was put into creating forgiving handling qualities for new pilots, for example limiting the elevator travel to prevent fully developed stalls and make the airplane "spin resistant" (but not spin proof).

But I too got the impression that upper management and marketing are non-aviation people who have made the arrogant assumption that they've made a "jetski with wings" that anybody can fly. I think we will continue to see their safety record decline until the company realizes that their aggressive low level ads marketed towards non-pilot customers will simply cause them to turn around and imitate that behavior. Add them pedaling the "abbreviated training" to get their customers out the door quicker, and a nimble but easy to fly airplane with few "gotchas" and they've created a perfect storm of overconfidence. Unfortunately by then there will probably be one too many nails in the coffin for the company to recover from their safety record, which is honestly a pity.

touch-n-go and BEEF SUPREME like this.
  8. BEEF SUPREME

BEEF SUPREME Well-Known Member

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Great airplane. Horrible marketing claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk