• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Former baseball player dies in plane crash

milleR

Too late. And I had forgot about that one.
On the flip side, how bout the scenes in the movies where the astronaut goes floating away in a space suit. That seems like such a pleasant way to go. (Although I'm not exactly sure what happens during carbon dioxide poisoning, but I like to imagine they just go to sleep while floating in the vastness of space. Ahh, happy place...)
Assuming the environmentals don’t go first and you freeze to death or water runs out before air or a microscopic space rock doesn’t puncture your suit or you get an itch on the bottom of your foot or ... yeesh, drowning doesn’t sound so bad all of a sudden.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Too late. And I had forgot about that one.
On the flip side, how bout the scenes in the movies where the astronaut goes floating away in a space suit. That seems like such a pleasant way to go. (Although I'm not exactly sure what happens during carbon dioxide poisoning, but I like to imagine they just go to sleep while floating in the vastness of space. Ahh, happy place...)
Way too much time to think about how helpless you are. And like Miller said, imagine you got an itchy nose or something like that you can't scratch? No thanks. When I die I want to go like my grandfather, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Good point, on one side of the hatch, their problems have just ended. On the other side, their problems have just begun. Ugh, indeed!
Spent many weeks and months at sea on a Boomer (U.K. SSBN) in my former life - my biggest fear was that my family wouldn't really have known how, why, when or where I bought it...

Bp244

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Spent many weeks and months at sea on a Boomer (U.K. SSBN) in my former life - my biggest fear was that my family wouldn't really have known how, why, when or where I bought it...

Bp244
Thanks for that! I spent my service becoming a demon at spades while I waited for something to break. If I died doing my job, it would of been because I touched 75,000 amps while doing a PM on a piece of RADAR equipment, or I finally got fragged for cheating at spades. Either way, family would of known I died a dumbass.
What's your favorite sub movie? I'm thinking of mine, bet its the same.

Thanks for that! I spent my service becoming a demon at spades while I waited for something to break. If I died doing my job, it would of been because I touched 75,000 amps while doing a PM on a piece of RADAR equipment, or I finally got fragged for cheating at spades. Either way, family would of known I died a dumbass.
What's your favorite sub movie? I'm thinking of mine, bet its the same.
Used to be Hunt for Red October until I saw K19 Widowmaker!

Bp244

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Used to be Hunt for Red October until I saw K19 Widowmaker!

Bp244
Ahhh, totally off! Das Boots, with the subtitles, not the English dub. Greatest sub movie ever made.
K19 was pretty awesome too and Red October has its place on the mantle, for sure.
Watch this clip from Hunt for Red October.

At 1:37 and 1:45. When Alec Baldwin is discussing fuel reserve with the helicopter aircraft commander, look at the clear helmet visor of the enlisted aircrewman who is listening in on the conversation. In his helmet visor at those times, you can see a reflection of flightline ramp and movie crewmembers walking around on the ramp where the SH-3 Sea King helo is actually parked. :)

How the eff have you not seen Das Boot? That's a cinematic masterpiece and mandatory viewing. You need to watch the full directors cut in German with subtitles.
Yes, it is. A million thumbs up for Das Boot.

There may have been a time, long ago, where I was an a.net style geek about the Gato-class fleet sub.

-Fox