For the Compass and GoJet pilots

denverpilot

...consolidating your feed with the bigger more stable companies is a better play.
An excellent summary. For the young folks it should be mentioned that “stable” should be put in quotes, and they really don’t care about the stability. They see signs of it imploding they’ll be on to the next girl in a heartbeat. Heh.

As long as it isn’t “put hair in bun, pulls heels off, takes earrings off, prepares to kick someone’s ass” Ha! :)
Damn dress code. ;-)

Oh but we still have people that are under the impression that they’re going to have a “recessionless” career.
Painful truth. I’m just the old 90’s aviation dropout who decided to teach in “old” age and then hit a medical DQ scenario for now, but I’ve done five “recessions” in my biz and watched them beat up everyone, including airlines which is just a watching “passion” for me, and they’re indiscriminate and random who they hit... and who’s investors and whack job leadership decide to buy out or mess with at the Wall Street level of the game. We all really have no control of it.

My acaí berry pyramid scheme is paying dividends (thanks old school F9 FO) should break even any day now.
Why did you have to remind me of that? Some 25 year (at the time) legacy guy I know and truly love as a person suckered me into one of those damn sales pitches. I still haven’t figured out how. And why is the berry thing so popular amongst pilots? At least my idiot family member doing the MLM crap tries to sell me things like vacation trips and essential oils. I did get a kick out of them telling me to try essential oils for a spinal cord injury though. FML. Hahahaha.

If you’re under 30 then you can always consider ATC! You’ll always have work, although actually being paid isn’t always guaranteed
Technically isn’t it guaranteed, just delayed? Closer to a guarantee than in my non-aviation biz, for sure. LOL.

Got bills. Can't afford it.
Okay... could you maybe save up for a bit?
Not really... (shows me pics of house remodeling, new car, motorcycle, and/or boat later in trip).
I volunteer as a layperson financial counselor.

* the lawyer recommends always saying layperson, much safer. I am 100% NOT a licensed fiscal pro nor going to meet any fiduciary requirements or have to, okay SEC if you’re reading this, got it?

That story is really cultural and not just an airline pilot thing. We are a culture completely addicted to debt, but won’t admit it’s an addiction. It meets all of the DSM criteria for one...

I tell people that yes, it really is fun with the four wheeler and the jet skis and the heavy duty diesel pickup, and the sports car for weekends.... and all of whatever they “own”*, but what’s even more fun is waking up without ANY bills.

* If we talk for more than one session or I know them personally, eventually we get into the “ownership” discussion. You don’t own it unless you have the title. You’re renting it to own it. And in the case of real estate you may even have the title but you’re still renting it... at a very low price compared to the mortgage... just try not paying the taxes on it for about three years and see if you own it. :)

Anyway... don’t know why I felt compelled to share, but man do a lot of folks need a perspective check on what they do with their money. Especially if they make decent amounts of it.

But I never lecture them against what they did... to themselves... that’s in the past. We talk about how to plan for the future. Poor, rich, doesn’t matter — people spend beyond their income all the time. They ignore the risk it incurs. Maybe it was the “recession-less career” that stuck a quarter in me... and got me going.

Anyway. Earn as much as you can, then spend some, save some, and give some. That’s a Ramsey phrase, but it’s accurate for the happy folks I meet. There’s an occasional curmudgeon who’s happier not giving any, but they’re rare. His other statement that personal finance is 20% math and 80% behavior, also holds water.

Trying to stay on topic to your post, that dude should sell the toys, save up half a year worth of hard “must pay” expenses (not the toys) and get on the applications, resume, logbook catch-up, and networking bandwagon if they want to bounce.

But ... most likely he won’t. Most people need a coach telling them if they said they wanted something to go GET it.

Fiscal rambling mode off now... finish off with this...

Take care of yourself. Fiscal health is as important as physical health. Work the muscles, get stronger, drop the fiscal junk food.... etc. ;-)

Richman

An excellent summary. For the young folks it should be mentioned that “stable” should be put in quotes, and they really don’t care about the stability. They see signs of it imploding they’ll be on to the next girl in a heartbeat. Heh.

Damn dress code. ;-)

Painful truth. I’m just the old 90’s aviation dropout who decided to teach in “old” age and then hit a medical DQ scenario for now, but I’ve done five “recessions” in my biz and watched them beat up everyone, including airlines which is just a watching “passion” for me, and they’re indiscriminate and random who they hit... and who’s investors and whack job leadership decide to buy out or mess with at the Wall Street level of the game. We all really have no control of it.

Why did you have to remind me of that? Some 25 year (at the time) legacy guy I know and truly love as a person suckered me into one of those damn sales pitches. I still haven’t figured out how. And why is the berry thing so popular amongst pilots? At least my idiot family member doing the MLM crap tries to sell me things like vacation trips and essential oils. I did get a kick out of them telling me to try essential oils for a spinal cord injury though. FML. Hahahaha.

Technically isn’t it guaranteed, just delayed? Closer to a guarantee than in my non-aviation biz, for sure. LOL.

I volunteer as a layperson financial counselor.

* the lawyer recommends always saying layperson, much safer. I am 100% NOT a licensed fiscal pro nor going to meet any fiduciary requirements or have to, okay SEC if you’re reading this, got it?

That story is really cultural and not just an airline pilot thing. We are a culture completely addicted to debt, but won’t admit it’s an addiction. It meets all of the DSM criteria for one...

I tell people that yes, it really is fun with the four wheeler and the jet skis and the heavy duty diesel pickup, and the sports car for weekends.... and all of whatever they “own”*, but what’s even more fun is waking up without ANY bills.

* If we talk for more than one session or I know them personally, eventually we get into the “ownership” discussion. You don’t own it unless you have the title. You’re renting it to own it. And in the case of real estate you may even have the title but you’re still renting it... at a very low price compared to the mortgage... just try not paying the taxes on it for about three years and see if you own it. :)

Anyway... don’t know why I felt compelled to share, but man do a lot of folks need a perspective check on what they do with their money. Especially if they make decent amounts of it.

But I never lecture them against what they did... to themselves... that’s in the past. We talk about how to plan for the future. Poor, rich, doesn’t matter — people spend beyond their income all the time. They ignore the risk it incurs. Maybe it was the “recession-less career” that stuck a quarter in me... and got me going.

Anyway. Earn as much as you can, then spend some, save some, and give some. That’s a Ramsey phrase, but it’s accurate for the happy folks I meet. There’s an occasional curmudgeon who’s happier not giving any, but they’re rare. His other statement that personal finance is 20% math and 80% behavior, also holds water.

Trying to stay on topic to your post, that dude should sell the toys, save up half a year worth of hard “must pay” expenses (not the toys) and get on the applications, resume, logbook catch-up, and networking bandwagon if they want to bounce.

But ... most likely he won’t. Most people need a coach telling them if they said they wanted something to go GET it.

Fiscal rambling mode off now... finish off with this...

Take care of yourself. Fiscal health is as important as physical health. Work the muscles, get stronger, drop the fiscal junk food.... etc. ;-)
So when are Dinars a “buy” ?

Screaming_Emu

Great and Unmatched Wisdom
Next week it's tryout the Qsuites from IAH to the Maldives, Oct/Nov in Berlin, LIS for NYE and Penang in March for two weeks (thank you to whoever it was that suggested Penang a few months back). Berchtesgaden is usually our March/April but is now pushed until next fall. Very fortunate.
That does not suck.

SFLAX

This was before the ATP thing...but all the corporate jobs needed one...I was a regional FO...went out and got it...leap frogged thousands of regional FOs. Be one step ahead of the job you want. Sitting in the right seat of a bigger more complex operation will be better then doing Moline turns in the right seat of a CRJ.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
I hear this all the time and I’m personally guilty of it from time to time. Though my sights are set solely on AA, not necessarily the Big 3. I wish in some ways that I had gone to JetBlue or Spirit back when a lot of my friends were. I would be making more money right now and working under a much better contract/company. They’re all mostly happy where they’re at even though with current projections (I stress both the words current and projection lol) I will likely upgrade at mainline AA by the time they upgrade to Captain if they stay where they are. That’s when the disparagement between major pay and legacy pay starts to become very apparent. Who knows what will happen though? If things stay good and the uptick lasts for a while I’ll have made the right decision. If not then we’ll see what happens.
Not sure when your flow date is, but flow changes the whole conversation in my opinion. If you were at a non flow regional then I would say moving up to a national carrier would be the wide choice. But in your shoes, a guaranteed class at AA, you’re better off sticking around. If you were on property starting today you’d have options of 777/787 FO or 737/320 captain in under 5 years.

Not sure when your flow date is, but flow changes the whole conversation in my opinion. If you were at a non flow regional then I would say moving up to a national carrier would be the wide choice. But in your shoes, a guaranteed class at AA, you’re better off sticking around. If you were on property starting today you’d have options of 777/787 FO or 737/320 captain in under 5 years.
Is the flow at AA WO, similar to the CCP at UA carriers? I.E. a huge game, that you have to toe the line, with ever-changing, rules that keep changing to suit the regional staffed? That no, one even ALPA has the contract language/rules for?

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Is the flow at AA WO, similar to the CCP at UA carriers? I.E. a huge game, that you have to toe the line, with ever-changing, rules that keep changing to suit the regional staffed? That no, one even ALPA has the contract language/rules for?
I seem to remember at Beagle that you can’t have any “step letters” whatever those mean.

And the Endeavdon’t SSP is a good joke with a large failure rate too.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
No, At AA WOs, all you have to do is keep fogging mirrors. Its a ridiculous system that anyone can get hired at an AA/WO and just exist and go to mainline, but it is what it is.

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
No, At AA WOs, all you have to do is keep fogging mirrors. Its a ridiculous system that anyone can get hired at an AA/WO and just exist and go to mainline, but it is what it is.
You’d be surprised how many seem to not understand the basic concept of, “come to work on time, do your job well, don’t do anything bad out of gross negligence, and go home”.

People have been withheld from flowing (at least at my WO) for having a letter in their file for something. But in my experience it is tough to get in trouble as long as you do your job as I described above.