For the Compass and GoJet pilots

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
This is from free-form writing, pardon the typos, rambling, run-on sentences and spelling errors that IOS Safari didn’t catch.

I’ve gotten a few billion text messages over the last day from people concerned with their respective airline losing the SouthernJets contract.

Let me start by saying, “Yes, it sucks”. I fully understand how one day you’re planning a beach weekend one day and suddenly you’re concerned about your future. I may be in my second decade at a at Big GloboCarrier but I haven’t ever forgotten what that feels like.

One thing I did when I got frustrated and/or anxious about the future was run through my resume to hone it. Is it readable? Is it updated? Is all of the contact information correct and up-to-date? When was the last time an actual non-airline related heavily detail-oriented grammatical/typographic error-sensitive person laid eyes on it to offer guidance? Go do this.

Additionally, freshen your applications. Go through it with a fine toothed comb and quadruple check it for clarity and being sure that you answer the questions being asked with clarity and being sure you’re answering what they’ve asked. Have another non-aviation related person read it for clarity.

Never think you’re going to drop money on a consultant and have them correct, rectify and make it pretty for HR. Remember, there are good services and there are services which are very adept at cashing that check. Be careful and it’s solely yours responsibility to have a readable application and resume.

Remember I always talk about networking. What have you done TODAY, apart from argue on the internet? Pick three or five other carriers you want to work for and stay “top of mind” with the people you know who are working there. Stay in touch with them. Texting doesn’t count. Make contact, in person, if you’re able because I can guarantee you that your buddy at UPS that you occasionally text that left your company a couple years ago is GETTING BARRAGED with texts and pleas for help for the person with the in-person connection is going to stay top of mind. Keep regular contact and never assume that your friendship or close professional relationship means that once the telephone is down means that he’s blowing up HR’s email address about your plight.

Always assume that no one is going to save you, but many people will help “multiply” you efforts. Put the minimum effort in, there’s nothing to expand upon.

When it comes to the job hunt, I always look back at another user that works for my current carrier. He worked his ass off for years, often getting looked over for interview invites, but he hit the job fair circuits, learned the names of everyone he came into contact at the carrier, was always positive, helpful and kept his head up. I was frustrated with his lack of progress, I knew he was frustrated as well, but he stayed with it and finally broke down the wall and successfully interviewed, hired and has a few years online. During the pursuit, I never saw him angry, frustrated and he stayed positive. He did the work and good things eventually happened for him.

You guys have the tools here, in your wider social network and you have the contacts. You can do it.

Do something every day.

If you get frustrated or sullen, do more. Stay with it.

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
It’s a bummer, and I hope that I never have to go through it. It is still a pilot’s market as far as jobs are concerned. So many places that would be elated to have you in class.

I may be an eternal pessimist but it has kept me scrappy. I keep my logbook and resume updated every couple months or so and I am relatively happy with my current job/outlook.

Richman

I would add that when things are not-so-hot, you have to consider the "non-optimum" solution. I get everyone wants to make their big leap to their final job, but that's not always possible. Sometimes it's a long trip on a crooked road.

As my GF would say when we discuss the social interactions of our relatives "he's wasn't Mr. Right, but Mr. Right Now"

KLB

I would add that when things are not-so-hot, you have to consider the "non-optimum" solution. I get everyone wants to make their big leap to their final job, but that's not always possible. Sometimes it's a long trip on a crooked road.

As my GF would say when we discuss the social interactions of our relatives "he's wasn't Mr. Right, but Mr. Right Now"
To add, there are tons of corporate jobs open. A few of them are home basing also.

Cherokee_Cruiser

If Delta is gonna cancel and screw the pilots who have faithfully flown the DCI banner for years, the least they should do is offer a guaranteed interview to anyone on property that meets the min quals and had an application active as of this memo announcement date. That way you pick out the ones who were already hungry and not chilling/lifers/don’t want Delta.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
If Delta is gonna cancel and screw the pilots who have faithfully flown the DCI banner for years, the least they should do is offer a guaranteed interview to anyone on property that meets the min quals and had an application active as of this memo announcement date.
Yeah, right.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Delta doesn’t care about anything but Delta. I don’t blame them. Why do people think companies should have compassion? People have compassion, companies don’t.
Union drive busting
Delta Global Services
Comair
ASA
GoJet
Compass

Cause it’s Delta Connection. You can’t buy a ticket on GoJets or Compass. As far as passengers are concerned, they’re flying on Delta.

Plenty of companies have shown compassion - the social justice warrior type. It’s not that they can’t show compassion, they just don’t care to for this particular topic. Remember when Delta cut out its NRA relationship? It affected all of like 14 people, but the image. The image.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
I may be an eternal pessimist but it has kept me scrappy. I keep my logbook and resume updated every couple months or so and I am relatively happy with my current job/outlook.
I *should* be doing this until such time as I have adequate A320 time so as to be useful elsewhere, just in case. Guess I can take 5 minutes and plug the numbers in.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
I’ve gotten a few billion text messages over the last day from people concerned with their respective airline losing the SouthernJets contract.

I'd like to hear more about this part... especially the lost contracts aspect. No snark intended... Just wondering what happened, why, etc.

denverpilot

Why do people think companies should have compassion? People have compassion, companies don’t.
Full disclosure: I’m a human and I don’t always have compassion. LOL.

Plenty of companies have shown compassion - the social justice warrior type. It’s not that they can’t show compassion, they just don’t care to for this particular topic.
Never seen a company not run those types of things through the marketing department. It’s not really compassion, it’s marketing.

If times are tough, the budget for the Think Of The Children 5K and Weenie Roast is the first thing cut. Right before the employees who were told to think of their company as “one big family”.

Going back to that lack of compassion thing, there’s a couple of real family members I’d love to hand a pink slip to, but can’t. So that whole company-family thing is busted.

But anyway. None of this is what this thread is for. @Derg has compassion and wanted to say some nice things to folks who may or may not find themselves jobless soon to let them know it’s far from the end of the world. Nicely done.

As someone else said, it ain’t the 90s and mass numbers of pilots aren’t flipping burgers and singing the furlough blues. Stay in the fight and it’ll work out a lot better today than it did for a number I knew back then. They did pretty well in real estate and such after the personal bankruptcies. :)

I warned ya I was low on compassion. I forgot to mention that sarcasm is my love language.

Y’all be doing fine. Go get em. No, seriously. You got this.

Last edited: