• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Flying Hospital L-1011 to fly one last time

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Will look great in classic TWA colors. Last TWA L-1011s I ever saw were the ex-TWA ones at IGM getting scrapped after over a decade in storage there.

deadstick

Will look great in classic TWA colors. Last TWA L-1011s I ever saw were the ex-TWA ones at IGM getting scrapped after over a decade in storage there.

I imagine it'll be in the inverse-classic scheme like the MD. There's a bunch of ramp space on the east side, but with this arrival, it's going to fill up quickly. It'll be cool to see it with the DC3 and Connie from the museum and the MD and L1011 all in TWA colors.

One thing I noticed is that the American 727 from the Boeing museum is coming to the AHM in KC since the #1 727 is now at that museum. Also, a DC-8 from ATI is inbound. Not sure where all these planes are going to be parked, but I guess they'll figure it out later.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I imagine it'll be in the inverse-classic scheme like the MD. There's a bunch of ramp space on the east side, but with this arrival, it's going to fill up quickly. It'll be cool to see it with the DC3 and Connie from the museum and the MD and L1011 all in TWA colors.

One thing I noticed is that the American 727 from the Boeing museum is coming to the AHM in KC since the #1 727 is now at that museum. Also, a DC-8 from ATI is inbound. Not sure where all these planes are going to be parked, but I guess they'll figure it out later.
They all want to come to the city that invented BBQ.....

The former Flying Hospital, L-1011 P4-MED, which has been parked for years at TUS, will be flying again. Acquired by Tristar Preservation, it has been re-registered N910TE, and will be making one last ferry flight from TUS-MCI, where it will be preserved in TWA livery.

This jet has been relatively maintained in storage, and a couple times a year, it would get started up and run, and being able to hear those Rolls RB211s start up with their smoky start, was always a treat. Now, there's a maintenance crew with it, and in short order, hearing the baritone rumble of the RBs will occur at least a few more times before she finally leaves her parking spot here on he northwest ramp, and taxi for takeoff for her last flight. What a sight that will be to see here shortly.

View attachment 35135
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted. If I'm anywhere near TUS, I'd love to get down there and see her launch.
I have an acquaintance who used to fly the TriStar for Delta. After an hour listening to him extol its features, design, and specifics, I came away somewhat convinced it may have been among the best airliners ever.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
They spelt Air Lines wrong.
Just noticed it, now that you mentioned it. I'd have thought Schiff would've at least caught that.

Curiously, what support did Delta give? Aside from the last Delta L-1011 flying the last flight from VCV here to MZJ following retirement, in order to serve as a spares source? That was for the old Flying Hospital that this jet used to be. Just wondering if there was a something more for this project.

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
Just noticed it, now that you mentioned it. I'd have thought Schiff would've at least caught that.

Curiously, what support did Delta give? Aside from the last Delta L-1011 flying the last flight from VCV here to MZJ following retirement, in order to serve as a spares source? That was for the old Flying Hospital that this jet used to be. Just wondering if there was a something more for this project.
The engine shop has the most knowledgable dudes in the world for those engines.