1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashlights

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by bimmerphile, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Itchy

Itchy Well-Known Member

2. chrisreedrules

chrisreedrules Master Blaster

3. skypilot6

skypilot6 Well-Known Member

4. bimmerphile

bimmerphile SuperCritical™ Member

That combination of rechargeable with a backup cr123 disposable is intriguing.
    I only ask because a bored fed has been hassling some people in my shop about them recently. One guy wasn't keeping the batteries stored in the light since it would drain and got grief over it

I was wondering how long it would take before we went there, I guessed 2 pages

azmedic likes this.
  5. oldgb

oldgb New Member

I have the SureFire Aviator, with green. It is the original generation, but I bet the current one is just as good. I can very easily see the boots on the Q400's horizontal stabilizer, even when the sun is coming up in early morning twilight. I also loved the 6P when I was in the military. The Aviator is 250 lumens, the 6P is 320 lumens.

6. RedBaron2000

RedBaron2000 Well-Known Member

Anything made by Zebralight. They have the most powerful single AA cell flashlights on the market. I’d also highly recommend their 4000K color temperature lights, unless you like that crappy blue output you get from other lights. I have an older version of this one: http://www.zebralight.com/SC5w-Mk-II-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_193.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. word302

word302 Well-Known Member

People carry d cell flashlights? I can’t afford d batteries on regional pay. Cheap Chinese made led. Way brighter than any d cell light. Something like $12 including rechargeable battery and charger.

8. Rocketman99

Rocketman99 Frozen Guppy Manipulator

Go to Costco. Buy the three pack of Duracell led flashlights for like 16 bucks. They run on 4 AAAs. Two brightness levels and an adjustable beam. Pretty much perfect for flying and then you also have one to keep in your car and another to keep in your apt/house/pad/trailer/cardboard box/whatever you live in. Also highly recommend getting a rechargeable battery kit so you don't have to buy more batteries. You can probably find one of those at Costco too.

BlueMoon likes this.
  9. Hubbs

Hubbs Well-Known Member

10. chrisreedrules

chrisreedrules Master Blaster

It was a joke... That thing would probably get you in more trouble than it’s worth on an airport ramp.

11. KSCessnaDriver

KSCessnaDriver Well-Known Member

I carry an Olight Baton S1. Nice and compact, but very bright for outside use. Also has very low light modes that totally don't blow your night vision, should you need to use it inside.

12. FL350

FL350 Well-Known Member

I have to second going to Costco just for the value. I have an LED light from there that is a bit smaller than the traditional maglites, but it is much brighter when I compare it to my maglites. The one I got also has a strobe function and adjustable beam. Pretty sure it’s a Duracell.
    Long story short: Costco, and LED

13. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

I usually just go into lowes and say "give me many lumens in a small package."

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

14. CirrusMonkey

CirrusMonkey No Real Usefulness

I bought this one a year ago and have had to recharge it once. Its compact, cheap, comes with a charger and will light up half of an A321, no problem. Screenshot_20171013-214359.png Screenshot_20171013-214359.png

15. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Used to have a marine projector back in Ukraine.
    Powerful thing. Standing on the balcony one night smoking, spot a dude setting up to relieve the internal fluids. Fire it up, light him up from the 8th floor. Judging by his motions he wasn't quite sober, tried to reposition himself to another bush, tracked him there. Then to another bush, and another.
    He departed the area after zigzagging around for a few minutes. Never looked up, never got a chance to relieve himself. At least in a controlled fashion. Funny the stuff you remember sometimes.

chrisreedrules likes this.
  16. Box hauler

Box hauler Well-Known Member

I just got the Colt Amram 800 and it's awesome. Compact and very powerful for around $100

17. bike21

bike21 Somewhat Known Member

chrisreedrules likes this.
  18. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

Interesting. After 18 years with SJI, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Guess I better read a manual now and then.

bike21 likes this.
  19. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

The day is young!

Skåning likes this.
  20. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

I have something like that which I got off Groupon for much less. It claims to be 1600 lumens, but I doubt that.

Either way, it’s reasonably sized and can light up the top of the vertical stab on a 747.

azmedic likes this.