Flashlights

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Now that I'm back in the schoolhouse for a bit sans flight kit, I've been shopping around for a new 121 compliant 'torch.'
Any recommendations?

Der_Meister

I have a colman one I got at wallmart. The best thing about it is i can twist it and it disconnects itself from the batteries. No more lighting up the inside of my flight kit.

Jordan93

I haven’t carried a D cell in years. You can’t even take a 2 D cell or bigger maglite into MEX as they consider it a weapon.
I still carry my 2 D cell maglite. My manual says 2 D cell or equivalent. We only do Canada for international stuff but I can see this being a potential problem in other countries.

m77y

I carry a small led one that I got off Amazon for like $15. It's roughly the size of a chapstick and is fairly bright

Rodger Wilco

Yes I believe that the two D cell reg is a bit outdated.
I know that is still says that but with modern LEDs I think you can have a super bright light that runs on AAAs.
I don think anyone would try to enforce that unless you do a negligent walk around.
Just buy something that will work for you and in your price range.

Jordan93

Yes I believe that the two D cell reg is a bit outdated.
I know that is still says that but with modern LEDs I think you can have a super bright light that runs on AAAs.
I don think anyone would try to enforce that unless you do a negligent walk around.
Just buy something that will work for you and in your price range.
I don’t think the reg says 2 D cell. It just says a flashlight in good working order. I think the airlines just adopted the at least 2 D cell flashlight.

wheelsup

I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/UC35-Recharg...D=61uGzj7I1jL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

At the time it was one of the few using the standard 18650 battery integrated into a rechargeable flashlight. It uses the standard micro USB plug which is available anywhere.

The spread is perfect for walk arounds and is very bright at level 4 or 5.

I also have this one which is similar in operation but the spread is less making it less suitable on the road even though it is physically smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/MH20-Recharg...pons&keywords=18650+flashlight+nitecore&psc=1

Last edited: