Flamingo Avionics course no A&P?

Opsflunkie

Hello all noticed flamingo air is offering a course to recieve an avionics certification. Is this really worth anything without an a&p?

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I hate advertisements that promise their program will make anyone an expert in any field. If you spend a couple of years going to school full time you can get an A/P, but upon graduation you basically know almost nothing other than theory. It's merely the ticket to get your foot in the door and start really learning.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Right I couldnt agree more however would these even get your foot in the door as a avionics tech without having the a&p?
Maybe? If you want to work avionics I suggest you start looking at hiring requirements for avionics techs with companies like Duncan Aviation. Look at the entry level positions and compare them to your resume. Regardless of what your ultimate goal in aviation is there will always be an experience requirement, it takes motivation to crack that nut. In other words, there is no easy way.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
What’s the end goal and where are you starting from? It might get you in the door at a repair station (no A&P required) but only if you have some relevant previous experience (military aircraft mx, or electronics work in another field).

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I'd love to do the GROL but am not eligible.

Becoming an A&P Mechanic | FCC License | GROL | American Airman NY

ERAU's AMNT 265 fulfills the academic side of it.
Why would you not be eligible? The GROL has never been mentioned in any job ad or interview I've ever seen or attended. That school is for military people trying to take advantage of their service and take advantage of having someone sign them off as eligible to take the test for the A/P, or people with a Repairman Certificate that want to solidify their experience with an FAA certificate. It's a test prep course.

ahw01

Why would you not be eligible? The GROL has never been mentioned in any job ad or interview I've ever seen or attended. That school is for military people trying to take advantage of their service and take advantage of having someone sign them off as eligible to take the test for the A/P, or people with a Repairman Certificate that want to solidify their experience with an FAA certificate. It's a test prep course.
It's the legal resident of the US thing, being over in the land of crumpets and tea...

Other than that I'm well up for learning about polar co-ordinates etc etc