FIRC Time

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
This drives me nuts. There is an Advisory Circular out there that defines, amongst others, on the basis of being 121 captains, the ability to renew CFI certs.

If a safety inspector isn’t following their own guidance, take it up with their boss.
I've never had an issue while being an active 121 captain. The gray area (as I've seen it anyway) is if you are no longer a 121 captain but were at some point in the last 2 years.

Richman

The AOPA "accident case study" videos actually border on interesting. They're all pretty well done.

Jordan93

I've never had an issue while being an active 121 captain. The gray area (as I've seen it anyway) is if you are no longer a 121 captain but were at some point in the last 2 years.
Like you said, it’s FSDO dependent, which shouldn’t be the case. The AC is pretty black and white. There are captains at my company who, like myself had no issues renewing it at their local FSDO and then you have others who were told that only check airman can renew their CFI with them.

BigZ

The eFIRC time is coming up
Any recent pireps on that? I did AOPA last time
I'm thinking King.... Haven't seen Martha in like forever

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I finished mine on the second day of my four month window, still waiting on AF to process my temporary though. It’s never taken more than a day so I’m not sure what’s going on, I’m on day 3 right now

BigZ

Saves you 1hr ground on the Flight Review too
I think I only ever had one of those, smack at two years after I got my private. Been pushing it back by adding stuff after that.
Speaking of, do we ever need that if the 121 is the main job?

BigZ

They’re all boring. I just figured if I’m going to be tortured, why not do it at the cheapest price.
True. Thanks, I'll give it a shot since I haven't done that one yet.
My biggest problem is if I pick up a book that I read ten years ago and read the first five pages, it triggers some weird corner of my memory and bam - I can just about recite the damn thing verbatim.
So I try to mix up the eFIRC's to keep it at least somewhat engaging. I did AOPA in 2017 and King in 2015. CFII before that.

MidlifeFlyer

True. Thanks, I'll give it a shot since I haven't done that one yet.
My biggest problem is if I pick up a book that I read ten years ago and read the first five pages, it triggers some weird corner of my memory and bam - I can just about recite the damn thing verbatim.
So I try to mix up the eFIRC's to keep it at least somewhat engaging. I did AOPA in 2017 and King in 2015. CFII before that.
Unless you go to a live one with decent attendance and participant interaction, or at least there is some new topic, "engaging" is the activities you do while waiting for the time to go by so yo can take the end of-chapter quiz.

Acrofox

All dragon~
I did the AOPA one this time around. It was brutal. I feel like I ended up putting 20+ hours in, when all was said and done.
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
[NEXT]
... ugh, I think I developed a nervous tic there somewhere.

The info is good. Honestly, the info would be fantastic for a first-time CFI, or a first FIRC. As it stands now, though, it was too long to get from quiz to quiz, and there were too many videos for someone just trying to get it over with.

I really like AOPA, and I think the ASI does a fantastic job. Altogether, I really respect them, but I did not enjoy this FIRC—it was simply far, far too long.

Acrofox

All dragon~
And let me be clear, that's 20+ hours of waking up, opening laptop, selecting module, clicking [NEXT], waiting for the next [NEXT] while trying to do some low-effort thing on another computer... [NEXT] [NEXT] [NEXT] [TAB] [TAB] [TAB] [TAB] [NEXT]... until it was time to sleep. Wake, rinse, repeat. Three days.

MidlifeFlyer

I really like AOPA, and I think the ASI does a fantastic job. Altogether, I really respect them, but I did not enjoy this FIRC—it was simply far, far too long.
The length is not AOPA's fault. It is mandated by the FAA as part of the course approval process.

"Curricula presented for FAA approval consideration should consist of no fewer than 16 hours of ground and/or flight instruction." AC 61-83J