FCC license for flying intl?

Planedriver28

Is it really as simple as going on the website, filling out the app, and paying the fee and get an RR license in the same sitting?

And what is the fee now?

Thanks

Mark815

Yes, it's a joke, and I'd say the biggest scam ever. Go to the site, try to navigate your way around (god knows it took me 15 minutes just to find where to pay since the site was a MESS when I did it), and give them $60. Congratulations, you're now certified to operate a radio.

inigo88

Composite-lover
They should pay you for navigating that hellhole of a website.
The FCC website is notoriously crappy. God help you if you try to get a HAM radio license, it's the same. Telecom companies and public safety agencies actually have to pay lawyers tens of thousands of dollars just to file the initial FCC paperwork for them. It's nuts.

Apophis

Resident Iconoclast
I used to think dealing with FAA paperwork was a nuisance, until the FCC came along. Talk about a royal PITA. Anybody who can successfully navigate the FCC's ULS system online, deserves a large quantity of beer and a pat on the back.

Mark815

I used to think dealing with FAA paperwork was a nuisance, until the FCC came along. Talk about a royal PITA. Anybody who can successfully navigate the FCC's ULS system online, deserves a large quantity of beer and a pat on the back.
It's funny because I tried navigating it on my own once and failed. Then I googled it(pathetic right?) and I actually found a "how to navigate to your FCC permit" page from the APC forums. I needed to use a step by step instruction guide on how to give them my money. Ridiculous!

rd757

I like how the process somehow involves a quiz which asks you (in probably 10 different ways) if you speak english. If you've successfully navigated that far, you're almost there, but not quite. I like how it goes to the vague Pay.gov site and gives you no confirmation that you've actually paid for your FCC license. What a waste of $60... only so I could check the box on Airlineapps and say that I have one.

JordanD

Honorary Member
I like how the process somehow involves a quiz which asks you (in probably 10 different ways) if you speak english. .
Whenever somebody asks me about my English proficiency I just want to go "What? No habla English." in my normal voice.