Favorite music

braidkid

Ok, let's all take a break from our studies and tell of our favorite music....music that moves you, that you can't live without....I happen to favor independent bands such as:
Bra!d (of course)
Sigur Ros
Godspeed you black emperor
Converge
Sunny day real estate
Sonic Youth
etc, etc, etc.......

ready2fly

Who, what, where, when, and how???????? Damn - I've only heard of ONE of those groups (Sonic Youth)..... MUST be gettin' old and out of touch.

I like "old school" rock = Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Rush, Who, Rolling Stones.....

I also like some of the "newer" stuff like: Alysin Chains, Metallica.. that kind of stuff....

But really - I'm all over the boards when it comes to music. Anywhere from U2 to Van Morrison.

Anything but Country music. Not by cup o' tea.

Parabellum

[ QUOTE ]
I also like some of the "newer" stuff like: Alysin Chains, Metallica.. that kind of stuff....

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be Alice In Chains just for the record.
I like the same stuff... Hoping to see Metallica for Sanitarium this summer.

JaceTheAce

I like all music ...anywhere from Mozart to Sublime...1940's Jazz to Fleetwood Mac. I like SOME rap with a good beat...but mainly music that has been intelligently created.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Yeah Rage Against the Machine. Also into System of a Down and One Minute Silence. Pretty much anything people would poorly define as "nu-metal" I listen to. While I enjoy heavier music most the time, I listen to and have performed a lot more than that. I've been in a metal band, a funk band, a few jazz bands, some marching bands, concert bands. I espically like listening to drum corp drumline sectionals, those really get me going. So everything from big band jazz to death metal is what I listen to (if you saw my collection of music you'd know I mean it).

Cheers

John Herreshoff

MissedApproach

Rage, Nirvana, Sublime.

But I'm always willing to lend an ear to a new band (for a while.) I'm pretty flexible but I do draw the line at country.

aloft

*cough*squawkbox*cough*

I'm not as angry inside as some of you young 'uns; System of a Down, Rage Against The Machine indeed...

Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
Goo Goo Dolls
Sarah McLachlan
BT
The Sundays
Seal

G

Dave Matthew Band...if you like their stuff and you ever get the chance to go to a concert I would highly recomend it. I've been to probably 10 of his shows now and they get better and better everytime I go. Some others I like:
OAR
Phish
David Gray
Incubus
Jack Johnson
Pat Mcgee Band

G

Viper,

I've seen OAR two or three times in concert...twice in Cincy then just recently in Minneapolis, gotta love "Crazy game of Poker" great tune!!

Flyitup,

Just saw David Gray in concert about a month ago. Very cool seeing him do his stuff live!

maniacmatt

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not as angry inside as some of you young 'uns; System of a Down, Rage Against The Machine indeed...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be angry inside at all to appreciate Rage or System of a Down (which I also love btw).

I enjoy their music because they actually have something to SAY. Which you can't put on the list with many other new bands listed here. I also just like the crazy guitar stuff that Tom Morello (Rage) does.

Doug likes Nine Inch Nails...does he seem angry/depressed and wanting to alienate himself? (not from what I've seen at least
)

I also draw the line at country. Just thought I'd toss that in.

pavelump

I'll go along w/ ya braidkid....

Queens of the Stoneage
X
The Clash
David Bowie
Buzzcocks
Flaming Lips
Pixies
Police
Miles Davis
The Hives
PJ Harvey
Radiohead
The Arrivals
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams Sr.
Sonic Youth
Ray Charles
Tom Waits
Specials
Supergrass
Apocalypse Hoboken

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

No Smooth Jazz
No Hair "Metal"
No OMD/Depeche Mode style B.S.
No NEW Country
No Top 40
No House/Dance
No Disco

Dave

kostcoguy

I like everything, but mainly into emo,
Taking Back Sunday
Thursday
Mock Orange
Further Seems Forever
Counterfit
The Goodwill

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
You know a lot of people call Thursday Emocore, right? I'd call them that. I love Thursday, they have a sound I don't hear out of a lot of bands.

And again you don't need to be mad to listen to Rage or System. I would call Slipknot angry music. A lot of that stuff is just about being mad at the world. Rage and System are both politically motivated bands. The message behind the music is more important than the way it's presented with those guys (in my opinion). It just happens to be heavy and sounds angry. I'd say it's heavy and emotional, there was a lot that went into their records.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

maniacmatt

[ QUOTE ]
Rage and System are both politically motivated bands. The message behind the music is more important than the way it's presented with those guys (in my opinion). It just happens to be heavy and sounds angry. I'd say it's heavy and emotional, there was a lot that went into their records.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Well said.