Failed checkrides

JDean3204

I hear ya, but then I think one guy without any pilot license or training took a Q, started engines, taxied out, took off, maneuvered all around, fully looped it successfully........ and it’s like man either this thing isn’t too hard to fly or Microsoft Flight Sim really is “as real as it gets.”
You could do that in an Airbus man... FSX is very realistic, and the videos available to start a plane from cold and dark are spot on usually. I’m willing to bet even though ole dude flew the plane, his maneuvers weren’t within standards of said checkride you are giving people a hard time for busting. Now as far as the roll, yeah that wouldn’t have happened in the bus haha

A300Capt

Freight Dawg
We are talking about real airplanes...Le'Bus is does not qualify as that. Q400 is, by far, in the Top 3 "Toughest Transport Category" to fly. (@mikecweb
's MD-11 takes the cake, it'll kill ya).
The MD11 may not be statistically as *forgiving* as most other transport category aircraft, but I’ve found it to be my favorite to fly so far. I’ve had consistently better landings in it than any airplane I’ve flown. The automation, both system and flight, is fantastic. It’s Uber quiet in the cockpit, fast and comfortable. If you treat her with respect she’ll take care of you....if not, well...it’s not called the Maddog for nothin’ :aghast:

You just have to pay attention to what you’re doing (true in any airplane) and don’t become complacent..you’ll be fine.

Cherokee_Cruiser

You could do that in an Airbus man... FSX is very realistic, and the videos available to start a plane from cold and dark are spot on usually. I’m willing to bet even though ole dude flew the plane, his maneuvers weren’t within standards of said checkride you are giving people a hard time for busting. Now as far as the roll, yeah that wouldn’t have happened in the bus haha

The Airbus is easy, it was designed that way. Turboprops are generally harder to learn/fly than jets. Way more levers and buttons too.

SurferLucas

Southern Gentleman
I hear ya, but then I think one guy without any pilot license or training took a Q, started engines, taxied out, took off, maneuvered all around, fully looped it successfully........ and it’s like man either this thing isn’t too hard to fly or Microsoft Flight Sim really is “as real as it gets.”
Starting the engines on the Q400 is stupid simple...flip a switch, push a button and move the condition lever to "start/feather".

I wouldn't call what he did flying either...he took off with Flaps 0, and almost ate it on rotation (this is from the SEA Controller who witnessed it).

As for the other, the Q400 held up beautifully considering all the hell he put that aircraft through. Overspeed/overstress/etc.

As the saying goes "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good" (which, that phrase dates back to a P-35 pilot that got tangled up with some Zero's in WWII). His was all pure, dumb luck.