FAA type rating oral exam prep

ahw01

Acronyms are way overdone in aviation. I feel like our students know the acronyms more than the actual answer.
This is why the Sheppard air way of memorising the written test doesn't sit well with me. Sure you have to remember a lot anyway but it should be as a guide.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
This is why the Sheppard air way of memorising the written test doesn't sit well with me. Sure you have to remember a lot anyway but it should be as a guide.
*shrug*

People don’t know how to do performance regardless, so...

More often than not, I had students list "Transponder" as required VFR equipment, thinking that's what one of the Ts in Tomato is for. Honestly the way acronyms are used in flight training often seems counterproductive, with students focusing on the acronym itself rather than the requirements.
Well, that's on them. They should know that they can fly without a transponder. But they have to get in contact with whoever controls the airspace. At least an hour before the flight to get clearance.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Acronyms are way overdone in aviation. I feel like our students know the acronyms more than the actual answer.

Some acronyms just work. Like A320 takeoff memo. What are the items on the E/WD?

I heard this acronym. Never forgot it since:

ASS FaT

Autobrake MAX
Signs ON
Spoilers Arm
Flaps T.O.
T/O Config Normal

After you learn about an ass fat like that, you can’t forget it...

Some acronyms just work. Like A320 takeoff memo. What are the items on the E/WD?

I heard this acronym. Never forgot it since:

ASS FaT

Autobrake MAX
Signs ON
Spoilers Arm
Flaps T.O.
T/O Config Normal

After you learn about an ass fat like that, you can’t forget it...
What does the "a" in FaT stand for? o_O

Autothrust Blue

Acronyms were explained to me as the easy method of memorization.
Now that I've spent a bunch of time in airplanes, I think it's REALLY silly that this information has to be memorized at the lower levels. I see some utility in it insofar as ensuring that everyone knows they can't blast off without a tachometer (each engine) or manifold pressure gauge (each altitude engine), but it also strikes me as silly because each airplane will have its own equipment list, and may have additional equipment requirements beyond that of 14 CFR for various types and kinds of operation. And if I were a manufacturer, I would make it abundantly clear in that equipment list what is required, 14 CFR notwithstanding, because liability.

(Since you've got to yard the manual out anyway...)

The first thing you should do is pull a book out when faced with an inoperative instrument and the question of "can I go?"

Autothrust Blue

Initial oral exam

‘a’ just part of Flaps
Is it all green or not? Or T.O., signs blue, for those who are so equipped.

Seems a less useful oral question than “what will cause a TO configuration warning,” which one might use to lead into a discussion of all of those systems.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Maybe it’s the engineer in me, but I think we’ve moved to far away from the old times. I’m not saying build / recite the entire schematic or talk it through an air cycle machine, but some things should go beyond just a fault light.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
And what are you going to do with that information? It’s not like you’re an A&P and going to fix it. Pack Fault light means that particular pack failed. I don’t need to know why it failed, just what procedure to handle it. At Comair they wanted to know what caused EFIS COMP MON. Who effin’ cares?!?!
“MCAS is nothing a pilot should need to know about and we won’t train on it”

Cherokee_Cruiser

And what are you going to do with that information? It’s not like you’re an A&P and going to fix it. Pack Fault light means that particular pack failed. I don’t need to know why it failed, just what procedure to handle it. At Comair they wanted to know what caused EFIS COMP MON. Who effin’ cares?!?!

EFIS COMP MON is a legitimate question. What's caused it? You should be able to name at least a few things that would set that off. Similarly at least on the Bus, saying that the pack fault light means that particular pack failed is not good enough. One should be able to provide the items that can cause that light to go on (the specific conditions).

Soul Brotha'

“MCAS is nothing a pilot should need to know about and we won’t train on it”
Are you really comparing MCAS to a pack fault?
EFIS COMP MON is a legitimate question. What's caused it? You should be able to name at least a few things that would set that off. Similarly at least on the Bus, saying that the pack fault light means that particular pack failed is not good enough. One should be able to provide the items that can cause that light to go on (the specific conditions).
I can tell you what every fault light on the airplane means. With that said me knowing how much oil pressure in the line will cause a caution is crazy.