FAA maybe not so stupid?

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
As this comes up more frequently:

A few have mentioned that they like to hand fly - what is your threshold for when and when you will not hand fly (as in its busy and we need eyes out, don't want to overload the PM, or an ILS to mins)? Is it dictated by your SOP/FOM? Do you brief it or just do it?

I come from a school of 'do whatever you want, just don't screw it up' which I guess is fair but in terms of CRM does that make the it's your leg but I'm flying captains hover more?
I actually briefed "if things get busy and I'm hand flying" back when anyone cared about my brief. I'm back to copying the captain, but a couple years I'll get to go back to my old ways.

Personally if the other guy is busy I grab knobs and twist and all sorts of bad things while still hand flying. Personally pointing up got old a long time ago, perfect day and no bs I'd kick off the old auto at 12k and hand fly it in telling the other guy I'll twist this and that, you just get that one. Cleared for the visual I'd kill a flight director fairly often.

Partly I think I just like finding the hard way to do something, but I'm so sick of watching guys fly up and kick auto off at 500ft to touch on the down. I know they're all desperate to level off at 5 or 7 thousand so they can show me what 2.5 degree nose up and 60N1 with auto throttles on looks like but idc. There's a lot of good pilotage on the downhill, plus who knows... You might level off at 10k and 300knts for a change. Whoo whee Rick! Whoo whee.

n57flyguy

I actually briefed "if things get busy and I'm hand flying" back when anyone cared about my brief. I'm back to copying the captain, but a couple years I'll get to go back to my old ways.

Personally if the other guy is busy I grab knobs and twist and all sorts of bad things while still hand flying. Personally pointing up got old a long time ago, perfect day and no bs I'd kick off the old auto at 12k and hand fly it in telling the other guy I'll twist this and that, you just get that one. Cleared for the visual I'd kill a flight director fairly often.

Partly I think I just like finding the hard way to do something, but I'm so sick of watching guys fly up and kick auto off at 500ft to touch on the down. I know they're all desperate to level off at 5 or 7 thousand so they can show me what 2.5 degree nose up and 60N1 with auto throttles on looks like but idc. There's a lot of good pilotage on the downhill, plus who knows... You might level off at 10k and 300knts for a change. Whoo whee Rick! Whoo whee.
The ol' AIM acceptable to level off then continue. I didn't believe the person who told me that when I first learned it and scoured the AIM like a mad man till I found it - only to realize isn't that called paying attention? But its pocket sand when you need it I suppose. Here's to not sucking.

Vectors to the visual in CLT from the west landing North was always fun. Otto would be off at 9 pushing 230 if they let it. 2K FPM told them play ball. 4 at the cooling towers, avoid the steam, in sight when it helps. A baseish/final to hit the marker at the slope. Then side step to the center. Not sure if they had more fun or the opposite.