FAA knowledge testing suspended to shutdown

Miked3016

I just got an email that CATS and Lasergrade have suspended all FAA testing due to the government shutdown. Is there any other way to test? Can the fisdo administer knowledge tests? If the shutdown looms on this could create a backlog of pilots needing testing.

NickH

Dank Meme
The longest previous shutdown is 21 days. The impact on testing should be fairly minimal in this event.

thevideographer

I just got an email that CATS and Lasergrade have suspended all FAA testing due to the government shutdown. Is there any other way to test? Can the fisdo administer knowledge tests? If the shutdown looms on this could create a backlog of pilots needing testing.
Nope. All testing centers have been told to stop testing.

aviatorx43

Why would they need to suspend testing when we pay $150 per test? It's not like it's a free government service…

hammerhat

Why would they need to suspend testing when we pay $150 per test? It's not like it's a free government service…
Test results need to be processed by FAA and added to IACRA. I bet it's a manual process much like printing certificate cards.

auw2fly

Goldmember
We were told it was because the FAA cannot provide support to Lasergrade and CATS if issues arose during or after a test.

We gave our last test Friday, then told we couldn't give anymore until the gov't opens.

Flyinthrew

Sooooo, this is a thing again. So much for being motivated to study for that ATP Written over the holidays.

///AMG

Sooooo, this is a thing again. So much for being motivated to study for that ATP Written over the holidays.
Yeah, for sure. Was planning to take it at Langley next week, since my practical is scheduled for the following week. Hopefully they re-open testing in the next 14 days. Knew I should have just done it on site when I did CTP.....oh well. That being said, I had just assumed this applied only to mil facilities and not ALL CATS, so at least that saves me a lot of wasted phone calls tomorrow. Bummer. I do appreciate how much of a political tool the government shutdown has become. If you are going to pontificate about your support of the military as a politician to garner votes, you had damned well better be doing something productive to end this seasonal madness. Contributing via action or more likely, inaction, gets you eliminated from my ballot for the rest of time. And we aren't even the people that are really feeling the effects each time this happens, which is obviously by design, since failing to pay uniformed DoD paychecks would be political suicide for anyone. Too bad it isn't when you cut paychecks for thousands of non-uniformed people who actually make our machine run (depot level maintenance contractors, administrative contractors, etc).

njboeingfan

I was at ATP CTP when the shut down occurred; not sure if I will be able to attend class without the written. Wouldn't think it would be an issue, by HR will let me know. More unnecessary stress.