FAA Could Put a Massive Hurt on Boeing 787 This Week

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
A friend of mine flys a RR powered 787, he says there is a new problem.

An issue with the intermediate pressure compressor, the cold side. Apparently the fan is creating a harmonic resonance in the blade causing cracks.

A fix won't be available until 2022.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!

An issue with the intermediate pressure compressor, the cold side. Apparently the fan is creating a harmonic resonance in the blade causing cracks.

Awesomeness. RR better get creative.

RDoug

I can see Boeing's and Airbus' latest pitchs now:

Boeing's: The Dreamliner — best fuel-to-passenger mile ratio in the business!
Airbus's: Yeah . . . you just have to fly the damned thing 1,000NM out of the way to meet ETOPS!

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
I can see Boeing's and Airbus' latest pitchs now:

Boeing's: The Dreamliner — best fuel-to-passenger mile ratio in the business!

Airbus's: Yeah . . . you just have to fly the damned thing 1,000NM out of the way to meet ETOPS!
Which is only slightly better than Airbus telling their some of their operators that they can only fly at all if they only have one new engine and one old engine on the wings.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
My understanding is the RR engine affected was made for the 787-10 and adapted (de-rated) for the 787-9. The earlier models of the 787 with RR engines should not be affected.

MaRiO FDZ

Han Solo is NOT dead!!

They always keep forgetting the Flux Capacitor should go in the back.

Didn’t Boeing make a common pylon so operators could (more) quickly swap out engines even across manufacturers?
They did indeed.

Rolls Royce doesn't have a great track record with their recent engine designs:

The problem with the 777-200ER Trents that caused thrust rollbacks when the fuel froze.
The problem with the A380 Trents that caused an uncontained failure(and near crash) on one of Qanta's A380s.
This problem with the 787.