F9 and NK

Shangri-La

Thanks fellas, yeah from what I gather the pendulum swung pretty hard in the wrong direction for reserve rules on your last contract, hopefully it can even out a bit on the next one!

FlySooner9

So for people in the pool at F9 calls when out today saying no classes till “end of the year”. As for me sounds like I’m starting at NK in July or August! Looking forward to it!

woodreau

So for people in the pool at F9 calls when out today saying no classes till “end of the year”. As for me sounds like I’m starting at NK in July or August! Looking forward to it!
Congrats - now start working on your flows, memory items, and limitations... that'll make your time in newhire training much easier.
Hopefully they'll start adding more crews to DFW so that you have a chance in getting into DFW sometime SOON (tm)....

They've put out emails that they're going to ramp up from 5/6 hires/month to 58 hires/month starting in July until at least January, so at the very least you'll be at the head of the wave as opposed to the back end. They've sent out another e-mail soliciting pilot referrals from the pilot group. So if you know any Spirit pilots, plug your contacts to get your resume/cover letter over to recruiting.

Nark

Sheepdog
It depends. I pretty much fly something every block, usually a four day.

The flying is pretty good out of ORD, honestly; there’s a very good variety including some Central America, some Florida, some northeast and some southwest. I enjoy it immensely.

Even when they make me fly with @Nark (or especially).
The aviation Gods smiled upon young Jedi.

If I wasn’t playing Army pilot this weekend perhaps a Pennsylvania beer would have been consumed. In due time.
Reserve rules aren’t the best, no argument from me.
With that said, I wouldn’t give up my seat to go to the anywhere else.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
@Autothrust Blue given where you live, wouldn't LAS be easier than ORD?
Am buying a house in Elgin.

I can do a redeye but under very controlled pre- and post-rest circumstances; commuting to redeye reserve (which is literally the option right now) would be worse. Plus, it's time. I like my little townhouse on the river out there, can ride my bikes, finish my MS, and generally goof around.

Cherokee_Cruiser

1st yr pay and already buyin a house? You're like, real airline pilot territory now.

Is LAS solely a redeye base for you, like it was for AWA back in the day?

Autothrust Blue

1st yr pay and already buyin a house? You're like, real airline pilot territory now.
More like, sick and tired of commuting now. (And trying to explain to a lender that the hit in income I took is temporary - but either way, I'm moving to Chicago/environs, forthwith.)

Is LAS solely a redeye base for you, like it was for AWA back in the day?
There is a decent amount of daytime flying out of there, but the majority of it seems to be redeye-day sleep-redeye-sort of day sleep-somewhere-LAS. I got tired just looking at the bid packet.

I like the odd redeye - but doing them weeks on end just does not push my buttons that much. And sounds like a recipe for exhaustion.

Cherokee_Cruiser

You're doin the right thing moving to base. At our shop I know a guy who's now engaged so he moved from ORD to SFO because commuting just gets old and now it's different because there's a lady involved.

Shangri-La

I have to ask, what type of times are actually competitive?
I had 3900 TT and over 500 tPIC when I was called in for the interview and I was by some margin the lowest time guy in my group. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got the call was because i had an internal letter of rec. For what ever thats worth.

Eagle421flyer

I like the odd redeye - but doing them weeks on end just does not push my buttons that much. And sounds like a recipe for exhaustion.
There's a few in ORD but not like LAS. The worst one here I've done used to be a 3 day FLL for the first night, then a red-eye turn back to FLL about 6am go to a hotel filled with cruise ship folks drinking and screaming then fly the 9pm(ish) flight back to ORD. When we had that one it was always in open time up here.

Autothrust Blue

I had 3900 TT and over 500 tPIC when I was called in for the interview and I was by some margin the lowest time guy in my group. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got the call was because i had an internal letter of rec. For what ever thats worth.
I interviewed with in excess of 1000 TPIC and with the exception of one flight operations instructor intern in my class most everyone in the room was similarly experienced.