F9 and NK

FlySooner9

Hey guys, working on making a choice between the two. Was wondering if someone from Spirit could PM me and answer some questions.

The (on paper) growth at Frontier looks really good. However the DFW base at Spirit is pretty much within driving distance which is a huge plus.

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
He’s not wrong... Bases come and go depending on a lot of different things over the years. While I think it’s safe to call a “fortress hub” for a legacy a safe bet, it’s anyone’s guess with some of the LCCs.

CFIT99

I'm probably commenting ironically...
I'm at F9, I'm enjoying it a lot right now. My buddies at Spirit like it too. Our models are almost identical.

I bid long call instead of a line and sit at home mostly

The ongoing consensus is, excluding the growth, there will be a lot of "things" happening over the next few years. (IPO, Mergers, etc.)

Either way its a nice decision to have, congrats.

upup89

Tough call. Driving to work is huge, but based on the current Spirit order book your upgrade would be lengthy. Best of luck!

Cherokee_Cruiser

Unless Spirit gets another airplane order, they already hired their last CA.

Spirit tripled in size since 2011. The time to go to Spirit was 2011-2017. Now it's Frontier's turn. Look at their airplane order and their current fleet size (85ish). If I had a choice to start today, I'd take Frontier over Spirit.

Last edited:

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
Living in base and driving to work is a huge game-changer in terms of quality of life. I used to live in base, but now commute for familial reasons. I now understand why commuters look so tired and upset sometimes. Commuting is time spent away from doing other things that I have to do in my life, and it is unpaid too.

Does the OP seek a quick Airbus upgrade? If you have nothing else and like sitting in the back of airplanes, I guess Frontier would prove the better option. I don't know. The choice is yours, but if I were in your stead, I would spring at the chance of driving to work again.

Also btw OP, you seem to be a rock star: interviews with JetBlue, Spirit and Frontier. Mind sharing what it is that you did, please tell us haha.

Whichever you settle on, the most important thing is that you end up liking your choice in the long run. Where would you rather be in 10 years.... Good luck on your choice.

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

Living in base and driving to work is a huge game-changer in terms of quality of life. I used to live in base, but now commute for familial reasons. I now understand why commuters look so tired and upset sometimes. Commuting is time spent away from doing other things that I have to do in my life, and it is unpaid too.

Does the OP seek a quick Airbus upgrade? If you have nothing else and like sitting in the back of airplanes, I guess Frontier would prove the better option. I don't know. The choice is yours, but if I were in your stead, I would spring at the chance of driving to work again.

Also btw OP, you seem to be a rock star: interviews with JetBlue, Spirit and Frontier. Mind sharing what it is that you did, please tell us haha.

Whichever you settle on, the most important thing is that you end up liking your choice in the long run. Where would you rather be in 10 years.... Good luck on your choice.
My LCC doesn’t exist anymore. If you’re at jetblue, Spirit, or Frontier, I bet you there will be more mergers.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Drive to work.
Sounds like it's all yellow for OP.

It's a good gig. I'll be honest, I wish we had some of Frontier's reserve features. But if you drive to it, you literally don't care about what reserve is like anyway.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Which reserve features do you wish you had?
Well, we build two LC lines per category, so you can do your own math on that one (I will probably never see long call).

Things are going to change somewhat dramatically with PBS implementation, so stay tuned. (We can't drop days anymore subsequent to the PBS implementation, for starters; rigs will make it far more lucrative to go to work when we do get called, but what you're awarded is what you get. Stay tuned.)

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Well, we build two LC lines per category, so you can do your own math on that one (I will probably never see long call).

Things are going to change somewhat dramatically with PBS implementation, so stay tuned. (We can't drop days anymore subsequent to the PBS implementation, for starters; rigs will make it far more lucrative to go to work when we do get called, but what you're awarded is what you get. Stay tuned.)
Ouch on the long call. Thats rough.