1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F/A-18E v. Su-22

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by tomokc, Jun 18, 2017.

1. tomokc

tomokc Well-Known Member

2. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

Patiently waiting to hear how this is further evidence of collusion between Putin and Trump to give the president good press.....

Any minute now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fez, Dugie8 and Blue Skies 4me like this.
  3. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov He comes to save the day in a broken truck.

Also seems like ironclad evidence that we don't need the F-35. F-18 worked fine!

4. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

Ha.

It was an SU-22. Not exactly a scene out of Top Gun, though we did have Tomcats shoot 2 down over Libya around the time that movie came out.

5. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how that's not an act of war?
    Russia might or might not get excited about it, but Iran sure AF will.

6. Boris Badenov

Eh, it was a Syrian Sukhoi, not Russian or Iranian. The Turks shot down a Russian, and the balloon failed to go up. I grant you that there are probably some "high level discussions" going on the secret phone Trump had installed next to the other secret phone, but I'm not typing from the basement just yet.

inigo88 likes this.
  7. Kingairer

Kingairer Well-Known Member

"The strike was believed to be the U.S. military's first air-to-air kill involving manned aircraft in nearly two decades. The last known such instance was when a U.S. Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon shot down a Serbian MiG-29 in 1999 during the Kosovo campaign."

That's some serious air superiority. With as much as we fly, no one has challenged in 18 years.

Adler likes this.
  8. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

There are agreed upon rules and warnings between all players in the region. The Syrian jet by all open source reports was across one of those recognized exclusion zones attacking Syrian Democratic Forces (I.E. the Kurds we are helping to fight ISIS in Raqqa). Nobody over here likes the Kurds except us. Iran doesn't want them getting dreams of Kurdistan, Assad doesn't want to give up territory, and Turkey refuses to accept that some Kurds aren't their enemy. We've made it clear in no uncertain terms we treat them as any other coalition partner, subject to defense of friendly forces from any actor ISIS or otherwise.

The coming close to the Mosul campaign has long been said to be the next big decision point as far as some of the wild card players in the region (Iran/Shia militia groups/etc). Now that the time for that point is approaching things are getting more squirlly as far as who is on what side since there are more than just two sides over here.

The Fez and Boris Badenov like this.
  9. Boris Badenov

With as much as we spend, no one better.

JeppUpdater and Skåning like this.
  10. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Supposedly there was a call on the military US-Russia line to deescalate right after the fact.

But as you said, Syrian aircraft, over Syria. Does that strike you as abnormal?

11. Boris Badenov

Myself, I'm not a fan. Don't, myself, reckon that it's any of our business. But it's hardly unique or ground-breaking. IMS, we zotted a few Iraqi aircraft over the "no-fly zone" twenty five or so years ago, even while acknowledging Hussein's government as legitimate.

12. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Little bird says Turks bombed Kurds in Iraq yesterday. Something something 16 KIA. And yet..

13. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Me neither. Mostly due to the apparent lack of vision and long term planning and how things tend to turn into a clusterf due to that.

PGT and Boris Badenov like this.
  14. Boris Badenov

Yeah, the Kurds do seem to the be the Charlie Brown in the football analogy as far as the cradle of civilization goes. But they've been doing this for a minute sorry millenium or two. I think they'll advance their interests quite nicely, thank you. And good on them.

Adler likes this.
  15. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

A whole lot of Syria isn't really Syria anymore.

People gotta understand the lines on the map in whatever Atlas you're looking at don't accurately represent what is going on over here. Right now you could carve out a a huge hole in Western Syria and pretty much call it Craptastistan because nobody recognized by the UN is in control of it. Assad and the Russians are worried about the coast. Iran wants a land bridge crossing Iraq and Syria to the med. We seem to just want to annihilate those butt holes in Raqqa and stabilize the half of Iraq that isn't in Iraqi hands. After that it's anybody's guess.

16. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

The Kurds didn't do this without F/A-18's persistently overhead. Sorry bro. Don't get me started on the *I don't have the education to emote without using a curse word* things we had to watch happen to them before the Obama administration allowed us to start dropping. Small scale genocide. They are the toughest fighters in Iraq, but that isn't saying much. Without persistent US tacair overhead, which has been the case since 2014, they would be easily run over.

Adler and Lawman like this.
  17. drunkenbeagle

drunkenbeagle Gang Member

Probably the best analysis I have read on the topic yet.

18. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

A USAF Viper never bagged a Serbian MiG-29, only USAF Eagles did. A Dutch Viper bagged a 29 though. A USAF Viper bagged 3 trainers, maybe a fourth by his wing but the fighter threat was all eliminated via the Eagle. This kill helps the Hornets kill ratio though, two F-7s, an SU-22 vs a single loss to a Mig-25 in 2003. Keep bagging em boys!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  19. Boris Badenov

Oh, I didn't mean to make an argument to the contrary. Playing the US fiddle is an integral part (AFAICT) of the Kurdish strategy. I was just saying they're doing allright for themselves, at the moment.

20. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu Whale Barista

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Itchy, Skåning and BigZ like this.