F-117A First Flight Chief Test Pilot, Hal Farley

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I've always been intrigued by anything that had to with the "Skunk Works". I've met a few people who worked there back in the day, oddly enough they don't have much to say about it. The U-2, the A-12/SR-71 and the F-117 came out of that hangar in Burbank. I can remember as a kid when my dad would drive me and my brother to school Ken and Bob would be on the radio as we came out of La Tuna canyon we'd see a 737 with a red stripe going into Burbank, my dad would always comment that it was a Janet flight. To this day I have no idea how he knew anything about anything regarding that stuff, but he did and he was almost always right.

Lawman

I've always been intrigued by anything that had to with the "Skunk Works". I've met a few people who worked there back in the day, oddly enough they don't have much to say about it. The U-2, the A-12/SR-71 and the F-117 came out of that hangar in Burbank. I can remember as a kid when my dad would drive me and my brother to school Ken and Bob would be on the radio as we came out of La Tuna canyon we'd see a 737 with a red stripe going into Burbank, my dad would always comment that it was a Janet flight. To this day I have no idea how he knew anything about anything regarding that stuff, but he did and he was almost always right.
A lot of people working then and working today have no idea what they are doing is part of a whole equaling a super big deal.

Classification by compilation is how a lot of programs stay so secret. The guy building a circuit or doing some kind of mathematical research in one office or building has no idea it’s going with a lot of other parts and research create the Death Star. Could just as easily be getting used on the weather machine or the earthquake gun, so it’s hard to say what your friends worked on.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Hal Farley is Bandit 117, in the group of the test pilot Bandit numbers, as opposed to the operational pilot ones. Lots of good info and great early footage of the F-117 in the documentary here. Regarding the jet being statically and dynamically unstable, it’s interesting to fly close formation with another F-117 and see the flight controls constantly moving and making numerous corrections per second, as the air data computers manage the total instability of the jet; all transparent and unseen/unfelt by the pilot.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Hal Farley is Bandit 117, in the group of the test pilot Bandit numbers, as opposed to the operational pilot ones. Lots of good info and great early footage of the F-117 in the documentary here. Regarding the jet being statically and dynamically unstable, it’s interesting to fly close formation with another F-117 and see the flight controls constantly moving and making numerous corrections per second, as the air data computers manage the total instability of the jet; all transparent and unseen/unfelt by the pilot.
I want to sit at a campfire with you and feed you beer and steaks in the hope that you might tell a story.

Pilot Fighter

A lot of people working then and working today have no idea what they are doing is part of a whole equaling a super big deal.

Classification by compilation is how a lot of programs stay so secret. The guy building a circuit or doing some kind of mathematical research in one office or building has no idea it’s going with a lot of other parts and research create the Death Star. Could just as easily be getting used on the weather machine or the earthquake gun, so it’s hard to say what your friends worked on.