Eye Power & Weight

haree

Hi

My eyesight is 20/20 corrected but uncorrected my eye power is -5.00 or -4.5 diaptores (I dunno the 20/** class). Will this be a obstacle for my pilot training?? or Class A ,B certificates?

Amother problem is my weight.Im 5'7" and i gained lot of weight after an attack of typhoid 2 yrs back.I've recently started working out but still im nearly 190Lbs. The doc said most of it is Bone and Muscles but is this applicable for Aeromedicals???

emelin

Wow! I s%*t you not, I also have 20/20 vision corrected, have gained weight becase of a thyroid attack a couple years ago, am 5'7", work out, and weigh 190 lbs of which most is muscle and bone. What are the odds of that? You wouln't happen to have a birthmark on your left hip would you. If so I'm going to start freaking out.

Are you talking about an FAA medical? You said class A or B which are not FAA classes. If you are asking about a foreign (not FAA) medical, I don't know. But, the diopters is just what the optician uses to make your glasses, if corrected to 20/20 with normal color and depth perception, etc., your vision should not be a problem. Can't fully answer the weight question, so I'll leave that alone. Did you mean TYPHOID (the disease) or THYROID (the gland)? I think flyguy is talking about his thyroid.

haree

thanks

Well yes i meant FAA Class 1 & 2

R u sure any power is acceptable if corrected to 20/20???

And yes flyguy has thyroid probs while i suffered from THYPHOID

Bye see yu

emelin

Yep, mine is a thRoid problem. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple years back. I have a slight case of dislexia too. Nac uoy llet? Good to know that we aren't twins seperated at bith though.

Haree-Actually -5.00 diopters is not too incredibly bad. They make glasses up to -15.00 diopters. So, your vision is about the middle of the road. A medical examiner uses your acuity at 20 feet (the 20/20 standard) for distance vision to determine your eligibility for FAA Airman certification. In other words, your amount of correction in diopters is not a factor for your Aviation Medical Examiner, he/she only cares whether you can read all the letters on the 20/20 line with or without your glasses/contacts.

DISTANT VISION--20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.
NEAR VISION--20/40 or better in each eye separately (Snellen equivalent), with or without correction, as measured at 16 inches.
INTERMEDIATE
VISION--20/40 or better in each eye separately (Snellen equivalent), with or without correction at age 50 and over, as measured at 32 inches. No requirement.
COLOR VISION--Ability to perceive those colors necessary for safe performance of airmen duties

About your typhoid--I'm familiar with the disease, but I'm not sure how it will impact your FAA certification. This will just have to be addressed with an AME. Good luck.