1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excel Logbook

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by scott_l, Jun 18, 2011.

1. scott_l

scott_l Well-Known Member

What do you use to log your flight time? I have found one excel worksheet free via google (Greg's) but I'm looking for a better one. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Apophis

Apophis Resident Iconoclast

3. Chief Captain

Chief Captain Well-Known Member

Logbook pro. Worth every penny. Don't need to spend a lot of money on logbook software though. With a basic working knowledge of excel, you can just copy the columns from your logbook and create your own.

4. Hacker15e

Hacker15e Virtue Signaling Intersectional Nonbinary Otherkin

That one was put together by yours truly!

It's a stripped-back version of the one I actually use, which has several different tabs that cut the data up numerous different ways.

Brandon1234 likes this.
  5. Bud01

Bud01 Welcome to the Jungle.

When i put my time is log book pro i found out i had miss added flight times and had more flight time then i had at the bottom. Log book pro basically paid for itself when it discovered my errors.

6. MidlifeFlyer

MidlifeFlyer Well-Known Member

Mine is a self-made logbook that I've been using since the DOS days (not win Access).

I've recently started using an online logbook at http://myflightbook.com (Free)

I've had an unused account with them for years but recently took a second look since they have both an android and iOS app to make entries, access totals, etc. I had been using Flightlogg.in for about a year. Very good as well but the MyFlightBook apps won the day for me.

FWIW, so far, I continue to maintain my paper log as well although that may change at the end of the year.

7. Apophis

Apophis Resident Iconoclast

Excellent! For a free logbook (heck even for some paid versions), I found it to be quite intuitive and useful.

8. ryan1234

ryan1234 Desensitized Member

Eh... maybe I'll stay away from that one then:)

9. scott_l

Interesting! Maybe I'll have to brush up on my excel skills and make my own logbook. I'm interested in this whole documents cloud idea for the iPad. Like if I update excel on an iPad it will update on my pc. $70 bucks for logbook pro seems kind of expensive!

10. CoffeeIcePapers

CoffeeIcePapers Well-Hung Member

Any reason why it will change at the end of the year?

11. ComplexHiAv8r

ComplexHiAv8r Well-Known Member

I use Dropbox as my cloud and with docstogo have saved a few business trips and update on the go.

12. MidlifeFlyer

"May" change.

It's not a regulatory or guidance change. I've been conservative about not changing to paperlsess without some FAA guidance on the requirements for electronic records. I'm personally becoming more comfortable with the idea that, except perhaps for items that need to be signed by someone else (endorsements, instruction) paper may not really be necessary.

If I make that change, I figure a new year is a good time.

13. CoffeeIcePapers

CoffeeIcePapers Well-Hung Member

Yeah, I was just wondering if it was a coming regulatory change or something. I went fully electronic two years ago. What I do for flight reviews, IPCs and training received is print out a blank logbook page and endorsement (if required) and scan it into my electronic log. I then back it up to Google Docs in its native format and also CSV format.

14. AviatorDave

AviatorDave Well-Known Member

15. Hacker15e

Hacker15e Virtue Signaling Intersectional Nonbinary Otherkin

For anything that requires a signature, I simply keep an actual paper logbook to make the line entries and preserve the original signature. If I need the signatures for the FAA or a job interview, I simply bring the freshly-printed version of the Excel logbook and the paper logbook for the original endorsements.

16. MidlifeFlyer

That's pretty much what I started doing. Beginning with my FR last month, I'm scanning and incorporating into my database.

17. Roger, Roger

Roger, Roger Guest

Scott l, your CFI has a pretty decent excel logbook I'm sure he'd be willing to sell you.

18. scott_l

Ah I've only seen him use a paper logbook...I'll have to ask about it.

19. usphsfnp

usphsfnp Well-Known Member

I use Logbook Pro, and do a backup to my Dropbox folder.
    I love Logbook Pro whenever I have to do an 8710. It fills out each field for you.