1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Europe to US electronic ban

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by A80TRACON, May 10, 2017.

1. mshunter

mshunter Well-Known Member

KDFW, swabbing my hands to make sure I haven't made a bomb.

Has a crew member ever done anything to make that even necessary?

2. NickH

NickH Dank Meme

I've been positive every time I get swabbed. 'I used my bag at the range', gets me waved through without any further questions.

3. A80TRACON

A80TRACON Well-Known Member

Good question.

I get "randomly" selected whenever I leave for/come back from the Middle East.

Jordan is the worst. Complete carry on unassemble and 10 swabs on bag and different items. I now avoid Royal Jordanian, the airline and airport gave me the creeps.

On a brighter note, the UK/US have decided not to have the ban. Seems it will be too much of an inconvience and cost the airlines biggly.

4. av8tr1

av8tr1 "Never tell me the odds!"

Not really, it would be extremely easy to create a fake laptop with a working display and actual working OS. With the size of a raspberry pie at roughly larger than a postage stamp with a working instance of either windows or linux. You could easily have a fully working laptop surrounded by explosives in the same form factor as any current laptop.

5. sorrygottarunway

sorrygottarunway Well-Known Member

Although if they had instituted the ban, us pilots could have used the "fear culture" of the media to promote that "with all those lithium batteries in the cargo hold, your next flight is sure to catch fire if we hit some continuous moderate" - which would then cause many open seats for your commute home. Two birds with one stone!