Envoy

flynryan692

You suck up, get a roommate, work hard, navigate working an open air office, and then make it to AA (or SWA (any other major)).
Maybe that works for those single twenty something year olds, not so much for those with children to support. Saying "suck it up" does nothing for productive for an industry begging to be recognized and paid appropriately.

Scarebus

Maybe that works for those single twenty something year olds, not so much for those with children to support. Saying "suck it up" does nothing for productive for an industry begging to be recognized and paid appropriately.
Yes. This kind of thinking is what makes it so easy for the regionals to abuse their workforce. Revenue has skyrocketed to all time highs for them yet the pay is actually much worse than it was 20 years ago when taking into account inflation. Seeing the regionals as an "apprenticeship" as I've heard it called before is a toxic mindset that screws everyone over royally.

bbmikej

And honestly, it really doesn't work well for a single 20 something. Especially when you throw student loans into the mix. It is starting to price me out of dispatching just because I can't afford to keep running negative balances every month. Not only that, but it is more important to get lucky and have your resume seen than it is to work hard to get to a major. Man am I sounding really pessimistic now.

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
Yes. This kind of thinking is what makes it so easy for the regionals to abuse their workforce. Revenue has skyrocketed to all time highs for them yet the pay is actually much worse than it was 20 years ago when taking into account inflation. Seeing the regionals as an "apprenticeship" as I've heard it called before is a toxic mindset that screws everyone over royally.
Most regionals see 50-90% turnover every 3-5 years. There are not as many regional lifers as those looking for higher employment. The regionals are a stepping stone for most and with that comes an attitude that cares less about the present airline and more about the majors who are the long term employers.

Unless you have a healthy source of money or significant other with a high paying job, I wouldn't recommend getting into the dispatch career on the regional route if you have kids to support. Beyond pay, the seniority system rewards those who start younger and makes things more difficult for late starters.