Enough is enough. Just stop. Guard.

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
I don't know, man. I really don't. Hell, even within the places we regional kids play it's not consistent. Out on the west coast there is just as much of a regional presence as there is in the rest of the country and it's not nearly as prevalent here. Can you explain that? Honestly, I think you are assigning a causation to a correlation. As often is the case, one does not apply to the other.

I think you might be suffering some confirmation bias.
All I know is the only place I ever witnessed it happening was at a regional. And it seems to have really gone downhill in the last 10 years. You tell me what has happened in that time frame that didn't happen before that might cause it.

How is it elitism? If it's only happening in one area of the world, logic dictates that carriers that only operate in that geographical area are causing the issue. If it was a mainline global carrier, wouldn't it be happening everywhere they fly?
Oh my. Well, the only time I have ever seen someone messing around on guard was in the jumpseat of a major airline (with a huge presence in ATL.) So, logic dictates that all pilots at that airline are unprofessional and causing the issue.

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
Oh my. Well, the only time I have ever seen someone messing around on guard was in the jumpseat of a major airline (with a huge presence in ATL.) So, logic dictates that all pilots at that airline are unprofessional and causing the issue.
So, based on your history, it's mainline guys, based on my history, it's regional guys. How about this: It's both and it's one type of guy. When I saw it happen, that guy was employed at a regional. When you saw it happen, he had manage to get hired at a mainline. Now the question that will torque a lot of you guys off. Is it generational? There's always been idiots that played shenanigans on guard, but it seems to have exploded since the mid 00's.

As for your experience, while I would definitely call SWA a major, I wouldn't classify their operation as a huge presence. :stir:

poser765

So, based on your history, it's mainline guys, based on my history, it's regional guys. How about this: It's both and it's one type of guy. When I saw it happen, that guy was employed at a regional. When you saw it happen, he had manage to get hired at a mainline. Now the question that will torque a lot of you guys off. Is it generational? There's always been idiots that played shenanigans on guard, but it seems to have exploded since the mid 00's.

As for your experience, while I would definitely call SWA a major, I wouldn't classify their operation as a huge presence. :stir:
It's both...This I can and will agree with. You ask if it's generational? i don't know...maybe. I would probably be more inclined to think it's more of a demographics things. In the last ten years or so I THINK there may be more people coming up through the civilian side vs the military. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe not...it might be a generational thing.

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
I believe I've flown with a captain that gave a "meow" over guard once or twice on a quiet night. Not really funny but whatever I guess.

I have laughed at a couple things I've heard over guard though

I know, I'm part of the problem
I think we're at the same regional? I've only ever had two or three captains out of, say, one hundred at SkyWest who insisted that we monitor guard. It's usually me selecting 121.5 since it was SOP at my old air ambulance/charter gig to monitor it just in case...it saved me twice there and once at SkyWest. It's typically quiet out west, everytime we go east there are always idiots BSing on guard.

I have a strong hunch that the perpetrators work for east coast-based regionals.

Haha you're funny. :)

That's exactly what I was getting at... It doesn't matter, regional or major, it can happen anywhere.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Today was an AA jet on Guard advising how his GPS wasn't working and how it must be something going on near White Sands or ELP. Someone else came on and blamed it on the military and Trump.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
We are encouraged to monitor guard around the DC SFRA. I've had to explain the guard situation to more than one pax. Add SFRA intercepts/violations to the mix and it gets lively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro