End of the superjumbo: Airbus is giving up on the A380

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Put a fork in it. It's done.

London (CNN Business)Airbus will stop making the A380, pulling the plug on its iconic superjumbo jet that once promised to revolutionize commercial air travel but failed to deliver on outsized expectations.
The European plane maker said Thursday that it will stop delivering A380s in 2021 after its key customer, Dubai-based airline Emirates, slashed its orders for the world's largest airliner.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Too bad it doesn't work out as a cargo rig. It'd be fun.
Is there a reason it can't be converted? I remember reading somewhere that a particular 747 models upper deck floor wasn't strong enough for cargo, I wonder if a structural limit is the reason they never built any. I know some had been ordered but all of the orders were canceled.

Edit: Nevermind, Why Is There No Freighter Equivalent of the Airbus A380?

Last edited:

melax

Too big
40 years late
No cargo capability
4 engines
requires special airport modifications
High airport landing fees
High maintenace
longer aircraft separation time (VLA) slowing flow.
etc etc...
Long turn over time
Long boarding process
Great Ego project, Great White elephant.
Why would you get into such a project when the sales of the 747 where dwindling down ??
The great Airbus brains at the time where projecting a 1500 frame market with a stupid hub and spoke scenario when long range twin engine wide body fuel efficient aircraft's where being manufactured making point to point service more feasible.
They will probably shut down the line with 254 frames, mostly supported by only one airline who already parked 10 aircraft's (A380) recently due to a lack of capacity/pilots ?.
Break even point was about 400~500 frames if even accurate ... I think much more. The EU Tax payers will absorb this monstrosity.
25+ Billions Euros (30+ billions USD) wasted in a pride project, instead of developing the A350 and derivatives that would have positioned them 10 years ahead.
It's a great aircraft just like the Concorde, but no $$$ ...return...
The Boeing 747 will outlive the A380, what an irony !
Don't try to take on the Queen !!
Just saying...

Last edited:

mrivc211

Too big
40 years late
No cargo capability
4 engines
requires special airport modifications
Great Ego project, Great White elephant.
Why would you get into such a project when the sales of the 747 where dwindling down ??
The great Airbus brains at the time where projecting a 1500 frame market with a stupid hub and spoke scenario when long range wide body aircraft's where been manufactured.
They will probably shut down the line with 254 aircraft's, mostly supported by only one airline who already parked 10 aircraft's (A380) recently due to a lack of capacity/pilots ?.
25+ Billions euros wasted in a pride project, instead of developing the A350, that would have positioned them 10 years ahead.
It's a great looking aircraft just like the Concorde, but no $$$ ...return...
The Boeing 747 will outlive the A380, what an irony !
Don't try to take on the Queen !!
Just saying...
It was all ego. In any other business, this would bankrupt the company. When the gov't officials push these projects, the tax payers pay the bill. The politicians that pushed this plane forward, full well knowing it would never succeed should be thrown in jail for wasting the publics money. But thats a dream society where the people actually run the gov't and not the 1%

jhugz

#lighttwin Mafia
Jesus, give Connie a minute, it's only just now a dying airframe. I have no doubt we'll see them in Ypsilanti soon enough.
I’m told Connie doesn’t want anything to do with Airbus and that includes the 330F that makes a lot more sense then this train wreck. The Lockheed almost destroyed Kalitta 1.0 and he learned from that, I’m pretty sure it will be an all Boeing fleet in his lifetime.

SeanD

It was an ugly bird. Airbus will make up for with the poaching of the C Series, which I understand is a big hit with Delta pax and pilots.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I don’t understand the hate. It may look a little ungainly but it’s a freaking engineering marvel and IMHO the idea is ahead of its time as air travel demand seems to keep skyrocketing and they still aren’t laying a lot more pavement.

BigZ

I don’t understand the hate. It may look a little ungainly but it’s a freaking engineering marvel and IMHO the idea is ahead of its time as air travel demand seems to keep skyrocketing and they still aren’t laying a lot more pavement.
Amen. Caught a beautiful angle on one taking off from MIA while driving not that long ago - it might look funny on the ground, but the moment it lifts off it looks awesome.

inigo88

Composite-lover
Man tough crowd... It sounds like they took a business risk that didn’t pan out.

But you guys know Airbus weren’t the only ones that thought of this right? “Superjumbo” was kind of a big deal in aerospace in the 90s, along with BWB. The difference is their competitors stopped at design studies.

(Hmmm CG anyone?)

See also the NLA, Sonic Cruiser and 2707 for more Boeing airplanes that could have been:

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Man tough crowd... It sounds like they took a business risk that didn’t pan out.
This is the same crowd who were all the "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!" people from 10+ years ago, decrying how Airbus was the devil because they didn't play fair and were lowly scum taking government subsidies and trying to put Boeing out of business. They were the ME3 of airplane manufacturers.

Now, the argument has gone 180 degrees and these same people are all Airbus fanboys, even though nothing else changed :)