DX schools that are 8 weeks or longer?

ahunt

Looking through the forums here, the most common complaint with DX classes is they try to cram a lot of materials into 4/5 weeks.

I was wondering if there are DX schools that offer classes that are 8-12 weeks long?

The closest thing I've found is ATP's night class, though I'm not sure how long it is. They want me to call them to get an answer.

Atc89

ATC89
I spread mine out over a little over a year....and that was after transferring some stuff in from the 4 year college I went to. Community college I went to pretty much let you take it at your own pace. I took a couple evening courses each semester, while working full time.

A-9er

IFOD's night classes are eight weeks in length. Jepps runs a six week program. Five weeks is intense though; I've been there and done that at Sheffield. At least it's over quickly.

A-9er

I attended this school in 2008 and can not say enough good stuff about it. You also have the advantage of 2 regional and 1 charter airlines in the area.
I wish I'd done my DX classes over a longer period, because it allows you to really ABSORB & DIGEST the material; it gives you time to let it marinate on the back burners of your mind. Five weeks is intense. Others have likened it to drinking from a firehose, and that's what it felt like.

bbmikej

Falcon in Newnan, GA is 8 weeks. You do 6-8 hours in class a day. It was a good pace and they made sure you knew what you were doing before moving on.

TheGirlinPurple

Green River College in Auburn, WA has a 2 quarter long program (30 credits). With my aviation background I got it knocked down to 10 credits(one quarter long) though I am also taking a 5 credit course on International Flight Planning and ETOPS. You can also do a 93 credit(Quarter System) associates degree.

Tuition for non-WA state US residents and Permanent residents is located here: https://www.greenriver.edu/students/academics/getting-started/tuition-fees/non-resident-tuition-with-waiver-rates/

A-9er

Falcon in Newnan, GA is 8 weeks. You do 6-8 hours in class a day. It was a good pace and they made sure you knew what you were doing before moving on.
That sounds like a GOOD way to do DX school! That pace would have suited me better...

JetCrew

FlightSafety offers a 12 Weeks course. It's considered "part-time". Classes are 4 hours long everyday for 12 Weeks AM or PM sessions.

thegriffinpages

AKA "Icicles"
FlightSafety offers a 12 Weeks course. It's considered "part-time". Classes are 4 hours long everyday for 12 Weeks AM or PM sessions.

12 weeks seems like a very long time.

I just got done with my first week of IFOD and while it’s a ton of information, and they go pretty quick, it’s certainly doable BUT I’m speaking as someone that can afford to reduce hours and doesn’t have kids so I can study 5 hours a night and still get 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night.

fuelerdx

Did the AGS online self study then 6 day course. I thoroughly enjoyed it although 6 days is a power funnel of information. Really takes a lot of studying and passing the adx prior to day one. In my opinion 8-12 weeks is too long, six makes the information fresher in your brain.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

thegriffinpages

AKA "Icicles"
Did the AGS online self study then 6 day course. I thoroughly enjoyed it although 6 days is a power funnel of information. Really takes a lot of studying and passing the adx prior to day one. In my opinion 8-12 weeks is too long, six makes the information fresher in your brain.

Prestudy definitely helps. Personally based on how I've measured up in class so far, if you didn't prestudy you are already a day or two behind on the first day (unless you have prior experience I guess). At least that's what it seems like to me after one week of class at IFOD.

I'd say going in, at least know Regulations and Flight Physiology, Emergencies, and Hazards.

Flynchick

The reason that most go for a 5 week course is economically driven. Unless you are living in the area where a 8-12 week course is being offered then the cost of hotels and eating out 3 meals a day just wouldn't be worth it. Just my hotel room was an extra 2k on top of the cost of the school; not including meals. If you need to your keep cost down I would recommend doing an intense self study then do a 5 week course.

fuelerdx

The reason that most go for a 5 week course is economically driven. Unless you are living in the area where a 8-12 week course is being offered then the cost of hotels and eating out 3 meals a day just wouldn't be worth it. Just my hotel room was an extra 2k on top of the cost of the school; not including meals. If you need to your keep cost down I would recommend doing an intense self study then do a 5 week course.
That is why I went to AGS. only a week of hotels and eating out, even though I had a 6 week course available locally. Every situation is different, it's nice to have different options.

4EngineETOPS

That is why I went to AGS. only a week of hotels and eating out, even though I had a 6 week course available locally. Every situation is different, it's nice to have different options.

Just reinforces the point that the school doesn't matter. No reason to spend any more than you have to in order to get the certificate. I'll probably be the only one in a given hiring class from the place I got my certificate, but I'm not the least bit concerned that it will have any impact whatsoever.

Avolar

Lewis University outside of Chicago offers Aircraft dispatch but it is split up. It is a Minor in the aviation degree program. I think it would be approximately 36 weeks. It is a private university so high tuition. I do agree with others that the school doesn't matter. Go to what fits into your budget and where you are able to commute to.
Jeppesen in Denver offers an in class option and an online option but seems they are only 6 weeks.